F5 power amplifier

Tea-Bag said:

I think as stated earlier, and if I got Dhole's intentions right, balanced F5's on bottom would be 21db gain, 1 f5 on top would be 15db gain. So fiddlin may be needed.

Balanced F5 on top and Aleph 5 on bottom. Just wiring f5s for balancing re your wiring in an earlier post Tea-bag. Will be interested to see how that turns out. i have just bodged an xlr connected to inputs and ground. and I will use the xlr 2 for posative speaker and xlr 3 for negative is that right ? using only the live speaker outs...

Balanced F5's

Dpole, good job.....the balanced F5's should work well into a set of 801's - you should get up to 100 watts in Class AB.

My question to the cognescenti - has anyone hooked a balanced pair of these puppies up to an Audio Precision rig and measured were they clip ?? Us'ens that don't like "tizzy" speakers are dyin' to know.....

Heretical thought

ttr said:
Local supplier stocks only 2SK170 BL and 2SJ74 V types. If I build F5 with these different classification FETs, am I getting myself in trouble? I haven't measured the actual Idss of the components yet, but let's assume 6mA for the BL and 20mA for the V. :clown:

Nelson Pass said:
Just get the best match you can and let the pots make up the
difference. Also, you can trim the Source resistors on these to
help even it out.

:cool:

Late to this party...

Here's a heretical thought?

Perhaps one might carefully select one's IDSS values and parallel two BLs to equal one V JFET's total IDSS? ( I think i recall the BLs are lower IDSS than the V's?)

If one used separate degen resistors on the pair, one might make them act almost perfectly in tandem?

_-_-bear

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Heretical thought

bear said:
Here's a heretical thought?

Perhaps one might carefully select one's IDSS values and parallel two BLs to equal one V JFET's total IDSS? ( I think i recall the BLs are lower IDSS than the V's?)

If one used separate degen resistors on the pair, one might make them act almost perfectly in tandem?

It would work perfectly if the transconductance varied by the same
ratio as Idss, which unfortunately, it does not.

It would be worth trying, though.

Because of avability me too and being impatient, i used first 2sk170bl with 2sj108v.
On one channel i could not obtain 1.3 A bias and 0 Volts DC at the output. I had to stay under 1 Amp. This explaining my post 3453: "You risk to have difficulties to obtain 1.3A quiescent and 0v at the output."
Later on, surprisingly, when i got the right 2sj74bl and replaced the 2sj108v with them, my problem was still the same ( not really a prob. as the amplifier was sounding very nice as this).
I had to tweak R3 (or R4 i do no remember) to get the correct bias.
I cannot explain this. ( i use no current limiters).

bobodioulasso said:
As i personnaly use F5 only for tweeters (electronic crossover) , i'll never reach full power capability.
It's my opinion that each driver in a multiway speaker should be capable of similar peak SPL.
If all the drivers are the same impedance and have the same sensitivity, than all of them should have an amplifier capable of similar peak voltage ability and as a result sufficient current capacity to meet the transient demands of the driver when peak voltage is delivered.

This matching of sensitivity and impedance requires that each amplifier has the same power delivery.

My recommendation is don't skimp on the peak SPL of the treble driver.

I think what Andrew is saying is, in an multi-amplifier system the amplifiers for different drivers should all be the same power if the drivers have the same sensitivity rating. Doesn't really matter how much energy is needed. The amplifier needs to drive the speaker with the same voltage so the SPL is the same.

labjr said:
I think what Andrew is saying is, in an multi-amplifier system the amplifiers for different drivers should all be the same power if the drivers have the same sensitivity rating. Doesn't really matter how much energy is needed. The amplifier needs to drive the speaker with the same voltage so the SPL is the same.

This is exactly what i understood. But most of systems i have seen use small amps for trebles. The real life tends to show it works.

AndrewT said:
If all the drivers are the same impedance and have the same sensitivity, than all of them should have an amplifier capable of similar peak voltage ability and as a result sufficient current capacity to meet the transient demands of the driver when peak voltage is delivered.

I agree with you on this...

What would you recommend in a slightly different arrangement? Say, ESL of some 88dB and a line array with 8x 6.5" bass-mids pch which will add up to some 98-100dB sensitivity... I am about to finish my set of two dual mono F5s but am not really sure that this will be the best arrangement. I also have just a few days to play to finish Aleph5 (the only problem is to find that time) but in this case, if the F5 can't really push the ES panels as it should, would you suggest using Aleph for that job? The plan is to make the crossover somewhere around 200-350Hz max... And this is how the speakers look like... (the small FR fostex is not part of the system I am talking about)

Attachments

• whatif.jpg
    whatif.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,044
stein2 said:

I agree with you on this...

What would you recommend in a slightly different arrangement? Say, ESL of some 88dB and a line array with 8x 6.5" bass-mids pch which will add up to some 98-100dB sensitivity... I am about to finish my set of two dual mono F5s but am not really sure that this will be the best arrangement. I also have just a few days to play to finish Aleph5 (the only problem is to find that time) but in this case, if the F5 can't really push the ES panels as it should, would you suggest using Aleph for that job? The plan is to make the crossover somewhere around 200-350Hz max... And this is how the speakers look like... (the small FR fostex is not part of the system I am talking about)

I woud think you need more than an F5 for the ESL so it will play loud enough.

Re: Re: Heretical thought

Nelson Pass said:

It would work perfectly if the transconductance varied by the same
ratio as Idss, which unfortunately, it does not.

It would be worth trying, though.

Speaking of which, I may have missed reading this point either here or on FirstWatt in the F5 paper:

The B+ is spec'd at 24vdc maximum because the breakdown voltage of the JFETs are 50v nominal??

Or is there another reason? :dunno: