F5 power amplifier - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2008, 08:01 AM   #1591
dhole is offline dhole  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

Matching P to N channel devices is not practical, but using the same
selection codes (BL, GR, V) is desirable.

I don't match P to N devices, just like types.

Thats the general idea I was getting , as it dosent mention matching in the F5 article. Looks like imight be powering up a channel later today then !
cheers
dave
Old 6th August 2008, 12:30 PM   #1592
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pass DIY
7/1/08

Watch this space - Pass Labs will shortly be offering PC boards for some of the DIY design projects.

First up is the DIY First Watt B1 buffered passive preamp, to be followed by the DIY First Watt F5 power amplifier.

Mr. Pass,

When can we expect B1 and F5 PC boards.

Thank you
Old 6th August 2008, 07:46 PM   #1593
The one and only

You can expect a B1 as soon as the PC fab house gets them done,
probably 3-4 weeks.

I have not yet laid out the F5, and do not have an ETA.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:06 PM   #1594
amp_guy is offline amp_guy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
Erno Borbely also has a pair of articles archived on his site -- which includes a JFET tester circuit.

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/adobe/ae599bor.pdf

and

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/adobe/ae699bor.pdf

Somewhere in this mess of an office I have a USB Based JFET analyzer based on the Measurement Computing data acquisition card -- it's written in VB.net

You got my interest, I have measurement computing DAC's
laying all over the place. I also have .net.
Tell me more please.
Old 10th August 2008, 06:03 PM   #1595
diyAudio Member

got my F5 fired up today--1amp fuse, used variac, got to 115v,checked rail voltages +- 26volts-all looked good-turned the pots alternating- 1/2 turn at a time went to .25v 0 offset-all good-put in 1 1/2 sloblo fuse hooked up to speakers and preamp-played music for 1 hour-got warm -turned bias to .40v 0 offset all good-set bias to .59v o offset-did fine.i then bolted the amp all together and hooked to a different set of speakers turned it on and lost the right channel-dang!! took it apart-slightly melted the fuse but still had conductivity.put in 1a fuse and used variac--left channel okay but right has 22vdc offset p-fet has .4volt bias and n-fet has 0 and the pots don't seem to have any effect--what did i blow up?????helppppp!!!!
Old 10th August 2008, 07:28 PM   #1596
The one and only

You did not specify your voltages and parts adequately for a
diagnosis, however there is a limited number of parts possibilities.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:45 AM   #1597
diyAudio Member

i measure .4v across R11 and 0v across R12 when i have the variac at 115v. when i have the variac set at zero and start to increase to 20v the offset increases and the pots have some effect but past 20v the offset shoots up and the pots have no effect-the offset reads 22v when the variac is set to 115v--please tell me what else to measure and i'll sent back the info-thanks mark
Old 11th August 2008, 01:05 AM   #1598
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you connecting your variac to a transformer/power supply of your F5 or just straight to the F5 circuit ?
Old 11th August 2008, 01:13 AM   #1599
diyAudio Member

variac to the complete amp--took board off and had a look around and put back on-have the pots at minimum-turned on the variac when i got to 60-70 volts the offset was at 20v and R1 the 10 ohm resistor was smoking!!!!! that should narrow the search down-any clues to what part is defective? ( besides R1 )
Old 11th August 2008, 03:18 PM   #1600
diyAudio Member

replaced the sk170 -didn't have any 10 ohm resistors but had a bunch of 4.7 ohm --biased up great and playing music again-in the spirit of educating the uninformed-what exactly did the faulty jfet do?

Hide this!Advertise here!