F5 power amplifier

what size (VA) is your transformer?

Fuse rating = VA * 3 / Vac.
If you're using 300VA, then fuse it with T4A or T5A.

When you come to use your soft start circuit, try that T1.2A again.

Add a time delayed bypass across the soft start resistor/thermistor. Set the delay to about 300ms. You could try 100 to 200ms, it should still let the transformer start.

The smoothing capacitance is a completely different story. with 176mF or is that +-88mF/channel or +-44mF/channel, you may need a slow charge circuit. this should be fitted to the secondary and the timed bypass should be between 5s and 20s. Thermistors probably suit this duty better than resistors.

I am using a 500VA transformer.

Using that calculation i would need a fuse rating of 6.25A.

I am using 88mF per supply rail, just using the cviller boards for the PS.

NP article says use CL-60 thermistors but i cant get hold of one for another 3 - 4 weeks. What i can get hold of is the CL-40, which has a 5R resistance instead of 10R.

Hi,
add a bank of 10r 5W resistors together for a soft start ballast.

I use between 30r and 60r for my transformers.
A pair of series 5r0 thermistors will not look like much to a 240Vac supply.

Without a soft start you may need a T8A fuse to start the transformer reliably, i.e. without nuisance blowing every month or two.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
add a bank of 10r 5W resistors together for a soft start ballast.

I use between 30r and 60r for my transformers.
A pair of series 5r0 thermistors will not look like much to a 240Vac supply.

Without a soft start you may need a T8A fuse to start the transformer reliably, i.e. without nuisance blowing every month or two.

Hi,

Would there be any risks to the amplifiers circuity or transformer by using no soft start, becuase of the large inrush?

R

Bill Fuss said:
Anything will work. When you turn it on the light will burn brightly for a second or two, then it will dim. Just let it run like that for a while and your caps will form. If the bulb doesn't dim then there problems somewhere. I start everything I build this way, Poor Man's Variac.

Bill

Sounds good. Would i still need a 8A fuse whilst doing this, or should i use the standard 1.25A?

rhysh said:
I have just powered up my f5, just the PS. I am using 1.25A fuses on 230v mains. I have tried three times and the fuse blows every time.

Could this be the inrush current of the transformer? The fuse will blow when the transformer alone is connected.

A variac would help in this situation. If you turn the voltage up slowly, and the
variac vibrates unusually, or your fuse blows, you know you have a problem
(hopefully before anything else is destroyed). I got a new 500VA one at Fry's
(in the USA) for about $70 (if I remember correctly).

Good luck,
Robert