F5 power amplifier - Page 1335 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2013, 11:29 PM   #13341
crcook is online now crcook  United States
diyAudio Member

FROM--jameshillj

"To me, adding a dc protection cct is a 'no brainer' and I'm totally puzzled about this extraordinary reluctance to use such a common sense addition - there are any number of good, reliable, low resistance, etc, etc modules (from Asia, for example) that cost little and work off easily acquired voltages already in the power amp.

For those people that have a 'thing' about possible relay problems, there are quite a few designs availably (also on this site) that use low Rdson power Fets/Transistors and are also quite simple and cheap to build."

Good advice. Bought a small protection board kit on eBay from China... $6 including shipping! I remember that I used one of these before, when I build a small chip amp for a friend. Never had it tested in a real music situation, but the circuit design looks OK.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:54 PM   #13342
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
FAB (fearless amp builders) do without protection ;-)

Arne K
Old 2nd October 2013, 01:34 AM   #13343
crcook is online now crcook  United States
diyAudio Member

and, FAB have no more audio friends!
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:47 AM   #13344
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

To me it's more important to know what the changes are to a failure before deciding to use some kind of a protection kit.
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:54 PM   #13345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcook View Post
So, that begs the question, do F5 users have soft start or speaker protection circuits installed? I haven't seen any in the few pictures posted, and NP did not appear to us them in his original manual.

I am concerned that a component malfunction could put DC on the outputs....not good.
Here ya go...... speaker protection, "soft start" thru the CL-60's, and AC fans running at reduced voltage/speed to keep noise done. Th speaker protection modules were via eBay.

Another F5 build--beautiful music, different drummer

Last edited by CanAm Man; 2nd October 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:25 AM   #13346
diyAudio Member

i use a good softstart, but no speaker protection.
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:21 PM   #13347
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Isn't it that you can get one with slow start & speaker protection from the DIYA store ?

Patrick
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:26 PM   #13348
diyAudio Member

yes.
Old 3rd October 2013, 07:05 PM   #13349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
To me it's more important to know what the changes are to a failure before deciding to use some kind of a protection kit.
Easy peasy if mosfet go 99% times is shorth circuit = suply rail to speakers
Soft start is easy CL 60 in parralel with relay contact relay closes after delay
ONE realy need CL60 with big cap banks charging up

NTE7100 and Amplimo duble contacts realy for speaker protection

I still have working speakers
My F5
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:28 PM   #13350
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone.

I have been reading up on building amps for only a few days, but I'm very interested to actually give it a shot. I did not read any of the 1335 pages in this thread, but I've read JojoD's guide on how to build this F5. I have never build anything like this before and really I don't know much about the whole diy-audio-thing at all. Is building this amp a good start to acquire a new hobby?

I have a few technical questions, as well. The huge current which flows through my circuit at startup, how is this counteracted? Where should I read up to understand what's going on? I don't want anything, in case I start building this, to go extremely wrong. A question about this particular amplifier: it is an A-class amp and I pay .26€ per kWh. How much idle power consumption am I looking at and how much does it consume when it's active? Do I really need the 25W maximum output which it's rated at and if I decrease that, how is it done (simply by reducing the +- V?) and does it actually make the amplifier any more efficient?

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Hide this!Advertise here!