F5 power amplifier - Page 1332 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2013, 02:31 PM   #13311
TTo is offline TTo  Finland
diyAudio Member

I do enjoy. It is a very fine amplifier.
Old 8th September 2013, 02:43 PM   #13312
diyAudio Member

Hi there, having condemned the F5 in previous posts as it really didn't like my far less than sensitive B&W DM683s, I'm now considering building another pair for quite a different application.

I've already got an Aleph 4, which at 100W / Channel is a meaty beast and I'm not giving it up for no-ones money.

I'm considering building a tri-amp active speaker - based on the Wilmslow Audio Prestige Platinum, you will see thread of its build also in these pages.

So, I need 6 x capable amplifiers.

I've already got 2 x D White Hi Quality MOS-FET 100W amps. Not as good as any of the Pass offerings but still very good. I was considering giving them the duty of driving the bass driver (ie Sub 400Hz).

The mid driver (400Hz - 3800Hz) I'm going to give to the Aleph 4.

OK, both those amps are 100W, the tweeter (3800Hz - 40kHz) needs only 10W or so which I thought the F4 or F5 would handle nicely.

Anyone got any thoughts on my thoughts ?

Last edited by KatieandDad; 8th September 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:48 AM   #13313
acumos is offline acumos  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi guys I'm following diyaudio build guide, can you tell me if the soft start pcb by diyaudio store can be used in combination with the cl-60?
Old 20th September 2013, 10:59 AM   #13314
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

You won't need a CL60 in the mains supply if you use the soft start kit.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:43 AM   #13315
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest using the CL-60 as shown in the PSU schematic and saving the soft start for a different amp.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:43 AM   #13316
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

You can use the CL60, or other Power NTC, instead of fixed value resistor in a soft start.

Do not put power NTCs in parallel. They are OK in series.

I seem to recall that the DIYaudio soft start has the limiting resistors in a parallel arrangement.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:44 AM   #13317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
You won't need a CL60 in the mains supply if you use the soft start kit.
so I can connect the two primaries directly (240v)?
Old 20th September 2013, 03:54 PM   #13318
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acumos View Post
so I can connect the two primaries directly (240v)?
I assume you have two transformers rather than a split primary for 110V (parallel) or 240V (series) operation; you will need a soft start of some description.

I concur with 6L6, Keep It Simple (KISS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I suggest using the CL-60 as shown in the PSU schematic and saving the soft start for a different amp.
AndrewT's suggestion is also a good one, but only recommend if you have lots of experience dealing with the main supply, defiantly not for novices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
You can use the CL60, or other Power NTC, instead of fixed value resistor in a soft start.

Do not put power NTCs in parallel. They are OK in series.

I seem to recall that the DIYaudio soft start has the limiting resistors in a parallel arrangement.
Old 20th September 2013, 04:00 PM   #13319
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

As a follow up.
I have a few soft starts and always use series connected resistors in the limiting positions.
I vary between 3 off 20r 5W and 7 off 20r 5W depending on the VA of the transformer.

With any of these I could substitute a power NTC for any single resistor. The more NTCs the better the soft starter.

If I could afford it, I would use CL60 exclusively in my relay bypassed softstarters, but they are just too expensive compared to my 10r and 20r 5W resistors.
Old 20th September 2013, 06:03 PM   #13320
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Itsmee;3639247]I assume you have two transformers rather than a split primary for 110V (parallel) or 240V (series) operation; you will need a soft start of some description.

No, I have a single Antek AS-4218, but to KISS I follow NP and use a CL-60 to connect in series the two primaries. Only another question. The officiale diyaudio guide for f5 builders in the list of materials says CL-60 but in the text sometimes refers to CL-12. I don't understand this passage.

Hide this!Advertise here!