Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2013, 11:12 PM   #12991
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Yes im listening to them with a "Jean Hiraga 20w class-A" lovely sound, and am waiting for my F5 to return from a friend which has a lot more sonic quality to me. although my Hiraga is running from 12v dc converted -/+ 24 which may be causing the loss of Quality.

Hey its a shame there is not a version of F5 that can be run in a car lol
Old 25th March 2013, 11:57 PM   #12992
diyAudio Member

Some crazy fool will try it eventually!
Old 26th March 2013, 06:35 AM   #12993
oiphy is offline oiphy  Norway
diy newbie
diyAudio Member

you can run any design in a car (almost).https://www.dropbox.com/s/0joj8oxb3u...15241928_n.jpg
depends on the power supply. it can be done with f5 -f5t
however class A consumes power and produces warmth, so in a car I would go for a different solution...D
Old 26th March 2013, 09:08 AM   #12994
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

oiphy, how is a warm amp a problem in Norway? It can replace the heater, can't it?
Old 26th March 2013, 02:06 PM   #12995
oiphy is offline oiphy  Norway
diy newbie
diyAudio Member

believe it or not we actually don't have polar bears running round in the streets... and we actually have summers too.... maybe 6 weeks in 1 year...

other than that.... warm is good and I believe 50% of my heating bill already comes from my BA-3 mono blocks
Old 1st April 2013, 01:45 AM   #12996
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Haha, well i might try a max 20w amp in a car, maybee mod the aleph or try Aleph mini, or perhaps there could even be a 10w version of F5

Best to run a 12v x2 with regulators ? than create some kind of DC-DC converter to up the voltage, does not seem natural that aproach though. would rather have a "class-A" that can be powered direct from a single 12v battery, my car amp Hiraga sounds good with DC-DC
(12v = -24v+24v)

:edit
What i mean to say is it would make more sense to have a circuit that was 12v single rail as a car amplifier lol. so now i just need to find an amp worthy of such a feat.

Last edited by Rixsta; 1st April 2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:18 PM   #12997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasAdamson View Post
My opinion: Avoid all modern speakers sold in Hi-fi shops these days, as all have small "punchy" bass drivers that suck *** and are just overpriced yuppy crap.

Buy antique!
It's almost antique: Vifa P13. I've yet to hear anything using this (or it's sibling C13) which wasn't at least OK. The Ariel is the sine qua non of P13 speakers, but there's some negativiety to Pass & Ariel compatibility.

I'd also go for anything ribbon (eg. Ambience). You'll likely have a love/hate/love relationship with hi efficiency paper cones - eg. Fostex Sigmas. (I've not had Lowthers in the house so I'll reserve judgement).

I've been impressed by every electrostatic I've heard BUT they are usually very inefficient. Not F5 country
Old 1st April 2013, 01:00 PM   #12998
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoglette View Post
Not F5 country
Not entirely accurate.

25W is 6dB down from 100W, 20 minus 6 makes 14dB.
My ESL2905 does 86dB/W/m, 86 +14 makes 100dB.
100dB is the max continuous rating of the Quads, before protection hits the brakes.

Impuls power is another matter, the Quads handle 55V peaks, makes close to 106dB peaks.
So a 25W continuous power amp, with the peak power level of a 200W amp, would be sufficient.(*)

The ESL63 managed an ear shattering SP level in a 600sqft room with 50W continuous Quad 303 amps (monaural clones).
In a less large room, an F5 hits the bare minimum mark, also doesn't sound half bad imo.
As a socially unadapted, my audio room is on the 1st floor (aka one up in Europe) , about half of 600sqft.
Only has the loudspeakers, power amps, one chair, plus a small side-stand in it, rest is in the room next to it.
Safer with kids, plus cat & dogs, and guests can go screw themselves with a Sony R/C downstairs.

(* such a contraption exists, actually, but you'd have to kick the buttocks of Glen in Oz to obtain the schematics)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 1st April 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:22 AM   #12999
rade95 is offline rade95  United States
diyAudio Member

I wasn't happy with a low gain of the stock F5, so I added more gain by increasing feedback resistors from 50 to 750 ohm. Is bias re-adjustment needed after increasing feedback resistors?
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:37 AM   #13000
diyAudio Member

What's the new DC offset?

Hide this!Advertise here!