F5 power amplifier - Page 1287 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 04:48 PM   #12861
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Probably not, they are first-tier manufactures who were actually making the things.
Old 25th January 2013, 04:53 PM   #12862
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

If a company like Linear Systems acquires the right or license to make the parts, what exactly do they get? Like what are they licensing? A recipe? Specs?
Old 25th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #12863
Pemo is offline Pemo  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Are you asking about making a separate chassis for the power supply? Yes, it is a good idea.

Look for the 4-terminal "Speakon" connector from Neutrik to make the cable. Very nice!
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking !! But....why?
And make a compact F5 also

RGDS

PEMO
Old 26th January 2013, 10:43 PM   #12864
diyAudio Member

Default F5 - modifying damping factor by lowering feedback

Hi all. Changing harmonics by regulating P3 is already widely known method of changing F5s sound. But what about changing amount of feedback? Papa gave us some hint in F5 Turbo article. There we have half the original feedback and overall distortion was still extremely low. Nelson described effects of this as "mellower" more "relaxing" sound.

What if we'd like to make feedback even lower? How low can we go?
If we look at SIT amps - on paper they go in similar direction:

much higher distortion and low damping factor. Also J2 and F3 are more in this direction when compared to original F5. I suppose that adjusting P3 for 2nd order harmonics AND lowering feedback could get us closer to J2 or F3 sound (or even SIT)

Have anyone tried it? What's the highest reasonable value of feedback resistors? (as for bandwidth - I'm ok with flat 20khz - don't need more)

Regards,
Kuba

Last edited by fakamada; 26th January 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:55 PM   #12865
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakamada View Post
But what about changing amount of feedback? Papa gave us some hint in F5 Turbo article. There we have half the original feedback and overall distortion was still extremely low.

Have anyone tried it? What's the highest reasonable value of feedback resistors? (as for bandwidth - I'm ok with flat 20khz - don't need more)
Yes, I have tried it. It works well.

Decreasing the feedback (more ohms in position R5, 6, 7, 8) also has the advantage of increasing the gain of the amplifier, and that is usually the reason people have changed it. I have used 150R in those positions, it sounds great. I know that others have used 220R with good results.
Old 27th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #12866
diyAudio Member

220ohm is the value from F5 Turbo.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:27 AM   #12867
diyAudio Member

I'm wondering how low can we go with feedback here.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:16 AM   #12868
diyAudio Member

it is well known from the turbo. but how about the other way? well. i Guess there is not much need og 15db gain or below but it can be done, just as easy. soundwise, it will not make much difference. how about 50ohm resistors? that will give us about 10db gain? right?
Old 27th January 2013, 04:28 PM   #12869
Floric is offline Floric  Europe
diyAudio Member

Lowering the gain by increasing the feedback even further will lead into insability (high frequency oscillations). I don't know the lowest possible feedback for this amp but at least according to simulations a total gain of 10dB is already on the worse side.

If you want to go that way, you would have to change the schematics to stay savely within the stable region. I did this in my headamp by increasing the R from the sources of the JFets to ground à la BA3 Frontend.

Best regards

Flo
Old 27th January 2013, 06:32 PM   #12870
The one and only

The F5 already runs lots of feedback, but you can go for more if you are
willing to put some of those little compensation capacitors in the circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!