F5 power amplifier - Page 1236 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2012, 05:23 PM   #12351
diyAudio Member

Wink Nice work!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlomar View Post
Hi Jpedro,

Nice work
Hi all!!
What is the nice work?!
1236 pages?!
Napoleon: he has lost the war .... and the Katuzovjem!!?
thank you

Last edited by formula 22; 21st May 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 21st May 2012, 05:28 PM   #12352
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

post12332
Old 21st May 2012, 06:21 PM   #12353
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula 22 View Post
Hi all!!
What is the nice work?!
1236 pages?!
Napoleon: he has lost the war .... and the Katuzovjem!!?
thank you
Contribute to the site...you will see that Enhanced Print view makes it so much easier to read
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:24 PM   #12354
alexyz is offline alexyz  France
diyAudio Member

Default F5 and mains ground

Hi,
I was quite happy with F5 until moving in a new house. The sound in a new room where the F5 is now installed has nothing in common with what it was before. I thought that it is due to acoustic properties of the new room. Than, I decided to check if the bad sound can be because of mains without ground. It is a rather old house and the mains in the living rooms are without ground, just neural and phase. I have connected the F5 to a socket with the ground wire and, at least this was my impression, the sound became much better. So, here is the question. Is it possible that the presence or absence of the ground wire changes something for F5?
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:33 PM   #12355
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not using an F5 but grounded outlets made a difference with my tube mono blocks. I tried floating the ground from the outlets and the soundstage was terrible. Put it back and it was great. Don't know what happened. Also I use hospital grade outlets and that made a difference too.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:30 PM   #12356
diyAudio Member

Default grounds

A friend of mine moved to a old neighborhood and his outlets have no gnd .
He called all upset with hum and bad audio, all his stuff is high end and all balanced,,,,I metered as much as 12 volts between his chassis,Long story short new 3 wire Solid wiring to his setup from the drop,
He also had 124 volts AC on one leg and 121 on the other ,replaced both breakers and fixed that!
I haven't tried hospital grade duplex recepticals but I will thanks !!! are they all the same or some better than others?
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:33 PM   #12357
Floric is offline Floric  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think an f5 with floating ground won't work very well and it might cause problems with hum. In former times - at least in Germany - it was common to tie the ground to the neutral in the outlet. This is the way it's done in my house (in the rooms with old cabling). But there are safety issues with that practice, the case of the amp will be under voltage in the case of a fault. I would only do it with a working fault-current circuit breaker.

And you might need a ground-loop breaking circuit if you do it like that. If implemented well this solution might work as good as a correct ground. In fact in every house the Ground and the neutral line are tied together but at a central point if installed correctly.

But be aware that you are leaving the European standards of electrical safety when implementing a grounding of the amp like that!

regards

Last edited by Floric; 22nd May 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Setting the warning bold
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:44 PM   #12358
diyAudio Member

hi labjr
Are hospital grade higher rated or what makes them better?
Thanks alot
And I forgot to add to my post POWER is the begining of our audio signal so garbage in garbage out ,clean power in = great sound! Happy listening!
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:56 PM   #12359
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have only used Hubbell hospital grade outlets. A friend of mine who works for a electrical supplier got them for me. I did try an assortment of regular duplex outlets years ago. Eagle brand ones sounded the best from what I remember. But the company is out of business. The original GE ones in the wall were so-so.

All seems like voo-doo. Not sure what makes the difference, but it works. Also a direct home run to the panel sounds a bit better too.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:04 PM   #12360
alexyz is offline alexyz  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floric View Post
I think an f5 with floating ground won't work very well and it might cause problems with hum. In former times - at least in Germany - it was common to tie the ground to the neutral in the outlet. This is the way it's done in my house (in the rooms with old cabling). But there are safety issues with that practice, the case of the amp will be under voltage in the case of a fault. I would only do it with a working fault-current circuit breaker.

And you might need a ground-loop breaking circuit if you do it like that. If implemented well this solution might work as good as a correct ground. In fact in every house the Ground and the neutral line are tied together but at a central point if installed correctly.

But be aware that you are leaving the European standards of electrical safety when implementing a grounding of the amp like that!

regards
If it was a hum it would be more or the less understandable. One may have a difference of potentials between a source (in my case a computer with e-mu sound card) and the F5. But there is no any hum. It seems that the ground, which is attached to the F5 only at the mains inputs, changes completely sound signature. Looking at the F5 schematics, I do not understand how it can be explained.

Hide this!Advertise here!