Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2012, 05:26 PM   #11871
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
co-relate Ciss vs. xconductance vs. No. of needed mosfets vs. max allowable dissipation per device
and also consider relative humidity vs. golf handicap vs. baud rate vs. shoe size, as well.....!!

(I have soooo much to learn, oh great mentors.....!)
Old 12th February 2012, 06:32 PM   #11872
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
Would be interesting to see a rectangular board with outputs on both sides since about the best heatsink available in the states is from Heatsink USA and the deepest one they make is only 10 inches.

I did noticed the manual mentions mono blocks. Would it work well to have all the N channel devices on on side and the P channel devices on the other heatsink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
If you use a single sink, yes, but if you are willing to make a frame to hold more than one together, you have infinite depth. FWIW, the hifi2000 cases, at 400mm or bigger are all multiple heatsinks.

That's more of an issue with the layout of the PCB than anything else. It's one one the reasons Peter Daniel makes his PCB as small as possible, it actually gives you more choices with how things are mounted and gives more flexibility in what kind of sinks you use.
I agree about the case length. Given how expensive heatsinks are, and for those of us who already have heatsinks it doesn't make sense to redesign the case just to fit a 12" long board if we already have 10" x 11" heatsinks. It would be nice to see the boards split somehow for those of us who will be building them as monoblocks (which I think quite a few will given the heat requirements). I realize telling me to "make your own boards then" is a valid response, but since I can't and would instead be happy to pay for them I thought I'd offer my input.

Thanks,
Austin
Old 12th February 2012, 06:41 PM   #11873
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
I agree about the case length. Given how expensive heatsinks are, and for those of us who already have heatsinks it doesn't make sense to redesign the case just to fit a 12" long board if we already have 10" x 11" heatsinks.
It has always humored me how many people clone the FirstWatt designs using the long skinny boards. If you have ever seen the FirstWatt heatsinks in person, or a really good photo of them, you see why the boards are arranged like that.

But... with the heatsinks that are available to the DIY community, however, a smaller and more rectangular board is highly advantageous. You can still make a highly symmetrical board, but IMO smaller is actually better.
Old 12th February 2012, 06:55 PM   #11874
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
and also consider relative humidity vs. golf handicap vs. baud rate vs. shoe size, as well.....!!

Sorry you lost me there I got stuck whit the spanduly and a trycopicernator

Shoe size is easy 42

One would ask for more imput in a form that is easy to understand.

Preaty please
Old 12th February 2012, 07:04 PM   #11875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
It has always humored me how many people clone the FirstWatt designs using the long skinny boards. If you have ever seen the FirstWatt heatsinks in person, or a really good photo of them, you see why the boards are arranged like that.

But... with the heatsinks that are available to the DIY community, however, a smaller and more rectangular board is highly advantageous. You can still make a highly symmetrical board, but IMO smaller is actually better.
Most walid point my sinks are 300 wide as well.

Name a size and let's see what came up maybe Peter is or cna be coerched in to making one of his.

Another tought
I find PCB design quite relaxing and enjoiable (beats plaiing C&C) if others are thinking about having a crack at it there is a Totaly free no moneys needed program that is similar to the one I use if not better

Gogle up Design Spark
Old 12th February 2012, 07:30 PM   #11876
diyAudio Member

Quote:

"Turbo Encabulator" the Original - YouTube

Sometink like this may make more sense

(As posted by Joachim on MPP tread)
Old 12th February 2012, 07:33 PM   #11877
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKToecutter View Post
Ooh. That is a work of art. I am shamed!!!!
Back to the drawing board to do an imitation :-)
Nothing to be ashamed here we are all learning from each other

Somethink Papa be most proud off...
Old 12th February 2012, 07:47 PM   #11878
diyAudio Member

Quote:

"Turbo Encabulator" the Original - YouTube
and...bia adjustment vs. Kona winds vs. lunarwainshaft (box jellyfish influx)

-Mal
Old 12th February 2012, 10:18 PM   #11879
diyAudio Member

Maltron where did you hide the Jellyfish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIVE 049.jpg (973.7 KB, 646 views)
Old 12th February 2012, 11:11 PM   #11880
diyAudio Member

No one knows where the jelly fish go, but they generally arrive 8-10 days after Hina-ai-malama's full moon.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!