F5 power amplifier

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: toshiba mosfets

umut1001 said:
did anyone try the amp with toshibas 2sk1530/j201 ?i said that i will reduce trimmer value and reduce gate voltage and i will use bc637 instead of ztxs but my friend said it will burn..i dont know what to do..pls help

I believe that you could use bc637 and its pnp partner because they have the on-Vbe of about 0.6V.

I think that you do not need to change any resistor value to use 2SK1530/2SJ201. Precision adjustment of P1 and P2 will consider the lower Vgs of the Japanese Mosfets.

We are fearless diyers. Just go ahead . . . :smash: . . .

Seasons Greetings,

kierownik said:
I'm getting this case
it's dimensions 485w/350d/180h

I emailed the guy. He sent me specs for the enclosures. But specify the heatsink ratings. I'm guessing he probably doesn't know.

They're perhaps larger than they look. The heasinks are : 102mm h x32 mm thick x 380 mm long.

Does anyone know if this is enough heatsink?

Also the stuff is made in China. I'm not sure if they use some cheap quality aluminum which may affect performance.

The price is right at about $90 US plus $35 shipping.

They also have a larger case that's a couple inches higher, but I'm hoping to keep it compact.

kierownik said:
I'm getting this case
it's dimensions 485w/350d/180h
I have one of these cases. I also want to use it for F5, but I am afraid the HS are too small - to be specific, fins too short. There are 2 HS on each side, each measures,
7.5" (W) x 6.5" (H) x 1" (fins)
While I have participate in Christian's F5 board GB, I will attempt to use his layout to etch my very first board in the coming holiday :D Then I will try this case to see it will overheat :smash:

labjr said:

I emailed the guy. He sent me specs for the enclosures. But specify the heatsink ratings. I'm guessing he probably doesn't know.

They're perhaps larger than they look. The heasinks are : 102mm h x32 mm thick x 380 mm long.

Does anyone know if this is enough heatsink?

Also the stuff is made in China. I'm not sure if they use some cheap quality aluminum which may affect performance.

The price is right at about $90 US plus $35 shipping.

They also have a larger case that's a couple inches higher, but I'm hoping to keep it compact.

Sounds about half the size you want... :(
Unless you live in alaska and leave the amp outside. :D

Keeping this kind of amp compact requires active cooling. You can get some heatsink tunnels with a fan - that might be something for you...

cviller said:

Sounds about half the size you want... :(
Unless you live in alaska and leave the amp outside. :D

Keeping this kind of amp compact requires active cooling. You can get some heatsink tunnels with a fan - that might be something for you...

I wouldn't say those cases are compact. They're actually larger than the real F5. However the heatsink fins probably need to be much longer.

Here's the specs for their larger case, but was hoping for a more compact case like the original. This guy's cases waste a lot of interior space that's not really needed. He'd be better off making the heatsinks larger.

A-998
Heavy Durty Chassis for Power AMP
7 pieces Steel and Aluminum Chassis
1mm thick steel are rigid enough and keep low cost
Easy workability on 2mm thick top aluminium plate
Excellent & Profession look with silver silky texture 7 mm solid aluminium front panel
Convenience complete set come with most necessary opening
Come with ON/OFF push Switch, Anti-vibration legs x 4 ,Knob and Screws .
RCA sockets and speaker terminal , AC IEC socket and fuse socket included.
Faceplate colour : gold , silver or black .
Weight :12000 (gram/Each
Outside Size (mm): 480×380×180
Inside size (mm): 355 x 370 x 160
Face plate (mm): 480 x 180 x 7
heat sink (mm) : 160 x 42 x 380
Price (Each) US$120.

Originally posted by carcass
Hi there, I've signed up for the group buy, but I would also like to do it balanced, would it be possible using 2 amp boards for channel?

Nelson Pass said:

Of course.

:cool:

Can someone point us to an example of how two channels are put together as a balanced amp? What are the disadvantages when used in a non balanced way? Can one then still have the double power? Thanks!