F5 power amplifier - Page 1059 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2011, 06:52 PM   #10581
diyAudio Member

Nice piece of explanation, Andrew T. Nicely done.....
Old 20th April 2011, 06:56 PM   #10582
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Note that the arithmetic is very easy.
Only a couple of formulae to remember. I=V/R and for parallel resistors is R1 * R2 / {R1+R2}
Old 20th April 2011, 07:45 PM   #10583
diyAudio Member

Nice part of it, Andrew, was how you "backed into" the logic of the schematic. I made a paper copy for my files.....!
Old 20th April 2011, 09:00 PM   #10584
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Let's do some example numbers.

For Vgs = 4V @ 1.3A output bias.
Vdrop across the 0r47 resistor is 0V611
Total Vdrop across the jFET collector load is 4V611
Assume that the jFET is drawing 8mA = 0.008A
The resistance required to generate 4V611 @ 0.008 A is 4.611/0.008 = 576r375
This is made up (cold) with the 2k2 // 4k7kthermistor+2k2 // Vr = 1668r13//Vr
Set Vr to 880r66 This requires the Vr to be moved from 0r0 to ~17.6% of travel.

Now remove the thermistor. The Vr needs to be set to 780r98 or ~ 15.6% of travel. Note just 2% of travel difference.

Now back to the removed thermistor holes. You can insert a fixed trimming resistor here.
You need 576r when set cold. set the amp up using no thermistor. Switch off. Discharge all the caps. Measure the resistance across the group of jFet collector load resistors, checking both the top and the bottom loads.
Let's guess you measure 630r for top and 510r for bottom. Yes they could be very different because the mosFET Vgs can be very different.
Use the existing 2k2 by jumpering across the thermistor location. You now have 2k2//2k2//Vr in top and bottom.
Set top Vr to 1k474, set bottom Vr to 1k211. Note these new Vr values are much higher than previously, needing ~30% and 24% travel to get the 1.3A bias.

If you use a lower fixed resistor in place of the 2k2 you will find that the Vr needs to be moved even further making bias setting a little less sensitive to small movements.

Although these numbers are pure guesswork they are an indication of the sort of Vr values you might need.
Let's look at Vr current. When set to 0r0 the Vr wiper current is 8mA. This gives a maximum dissipation across the whole Vr when set to maximum and passing 8mA of ~ 320mW. This is quite high for a 400mW Vr. A higher Vgs and/or a higher Idss could take the Vr beyond maximum current capability when set to 0r0.
The Vr current when set to 780r is ~5.9mA. The equivalent maximum dissipation is 174mW or ~43% of maximum dissipation. This should be OK long term.

Now look at Vr dissipations when the low value extra parallel resistor is put in place. Vr is set to 1k2 or 1k4.
I'll use the 1k2 since this is a more demanding situation.
the 5k Vr set to 1k2 will pass ~ 3.84mA and the equivalent dissipation is 73mW or about ~18% of maximum rating. Well OK for long term use.

Now that was well put together!!!

Russellc
Old 20th April 2011, 09:07 PM   #10585
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

fact that Andrew must write War & Peace means just one thing ....... someone somewhere somehow didn't read Papa's F5 manual - that crucial one more time
Attached Images
File Type: gif crazy.gif (4.9 KB, 560 views)
File Type: gif buehehe.gif (33.3 KB, 555 views)
Old 20th April 2011, 09:10 PM   #10586
diyAudio Member

ZM...... yeah, but still nicely done. And I can't wait until the movie version comes out!
Old 20th April 2011, 10:37 PM   #10587
jpedro is offline jpedro  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
Only if your mains supply is 230V, what's the transformer secondary voltage, how many windings, and what is the VA rating?

You can save yourself a lot of headaches if you download and study the F5 service manual from the First Watt web site, that should answer 99% of your questions.

Hi Itsmee,
Thank you.
The transformer is this:

Best regards,
jpedro
Old 20th April 2011, 10:55 PM   #10588
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A fact for those that want it.
I have read the F5 PDF and I have not yet started building the F5.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:01 PM   #10589
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

fact is that you read it enough ;

building is irrelevant
Old 20th April 2011, 11:56 PM   #10590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
A fact for those that want it.
appreciated , thank you

the knowledge you all have didn't come overnite . i know because mine is in woodworking and mechanics over many years .

my kick back time is spent here reading and reading and reading and chit it's been four months and i don't know everything ....... YET

cheers Woody

Hide this!Advertise here!