Mini-a Heatsinks Help!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
sandstorm33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default Mini-a Heatsinks Help!!

Need some help on heatsink dissipation. Have two sinks black anodized measuring 10"X 4" X1 1/4" with a 3/8" thick base ,drilled for two TO-3 cases. Plan to use these in my MINI-A with irf231 TO-204AA(TO-3) which are 100W devices with 800pf input capacitance and 9a rating. Have a bunch of these.

Will these sinks do it ?? I have no idea how to calculate the dissipation character of these sinks.Can someone help??
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 09:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
bluemartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ohio
There is calculator here:

http://sound.westhost.com/download.htm#hsink
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 09:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
sandstorm33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by bluemartini
There is calculator here:

http://sound.westhost.com/download.htm#hsink

Thanks very much!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
sandstorm33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Using the calculator and assuming 50-60c operating temp I arrive at.53-.58 C/w . Does this put me in the ballpark?? assume bias devices
to pull 1.5amp @+/-15volts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
bluemartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ohio
The zen v9 has this quote:

"This amplifier idles at about 100 watts per channel, which means that each
channel needs a heat sink rated at .25 deg C. per watt."

I have not followed the Mini A thread, but if it is 100 watts per channels then you will need two of your heat sinks per channel

I use two 12x4.5x2 per channel for my zen v9 and it run just below what I would classify as hot. Meaning I can keep my hands on the sinks for a minute or two.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 01:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by sandstorm33
Using the calculator and assuming 50-60c operating temp I arrive at.53-.58 C/w . Does this put me in the ballpark?? assume bias devices
to pull 1.5amp @+/-15volts.
Sounds like it should be ok. Assuming the calculated
themal rating is in the right ball par, each heatsink should be
able to handle the 45W or so of dissipation per channel.

Cheers,
Dennis
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 05:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
sandstorm33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by bluemartini
The zen v9 has this quote:

"This amplifier idles at about 100 watts per channel, which means that each
channel needs a heat sink rated at .25 deg C. per watt."

I have not followed the Mini A thread, but if it is 100 watts per channels then you will need two of your heat sinks per channel

I use two 12x4.5x2 per channel for my zen v9 and it run just below what I would classify as hot. Meaning I can keep my hands on the sinks for a minute or two.

The Mini runs at between 30 and 50 watts depending on how you bias the circuit. Looks like I'm in the ballpark alright. From the many comments in various threads "HOT IS IN". These circuits sound better "HOT". What is Nelson's comment ...Finger on the sink for 5 seconds..

anyway thanks for your help All..

JT
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY heatsinks byteboy Pass Labs 251 5th August 2013 08:22 PM
the Very Mini Magico Mini zei Multi-Way 7 11th February 2008 08:10 PM
WTB: Heatsinks wdavis009 Swap Meet 0 24th April 2007 11:27 PM
Aleph mini or 3 with my heatsinks? sqlkev Pass Labs 23 11th October 2006 05:40 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2