Aleph P, Balanced Out if unbalanced in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks!

Recently I decided to build myself an Aleph-J power Amp. Meanwhile, while buying Parts of it I wonder what to do with my never finished Tube SRPP Pre... Well, I think I will ditch this in Favour of the much interesting Aleph P and an external Phono stage since I will ditch my Phono stuff also in t
he future.

Therefore I realize the symmetrical input of Aleph-J is very comfortable now.

Does Aleph P output an symmetrical Signal if it is fetched unbalanced? I think so but don't call me god when it comes to more than two TRansistors in one Cicuit :)

Kind Regards, Konsti

Hi Konsti,

Yes, it does - but don't forget to short the other unused inputs (-inputs) to ground. In the commercial Aleph P this is accomplished by shorting plugs between pins 1 and 3 on the XLR (female) input connectors.

Which version do you have? 1.0 or 1.7?

Regards Dirk

Have no AlephP, but I think you should build the P1.7. It is technically the better choice to convert a single ended signal in a balanced one.
The P1.0 uses resistors for biasing and loading the gain mosfets - the P1.7 offers constant current sources for this job.

Dirk

noisefree said:
Have no AlephP, but I think you should build the P1.7. It is technically the better choice to convert a single ended signal in a balanced one.
The P1.0 uses resistors for biasing and loading the gain mosfets - the P1.7 offers constant current sources for this job.

Dirk

Technically you may be right. I still prefer the sound of the 1.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.