Cost of the Zen pass labs amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there
I am new to this site and am amazed by the amount of information and activity here. I was wondering whether anyone can tell me how much it costs approx to build the Zen amp currently listed in the passlabs diy page?
I am sure this was discussed before but I did not get any figures when I did a search. I did get figures such as US $500 to $700 for the Aleph 4 DIY.

Also, for someone who has no experience dealing with circuits (except basic soldering) how hard would it be to build this amp with the given instructions and material?

thanks so much in advance
vsr

following are minimum quantities for 2 channels of zen amp (v4) goodness:

priced in US dollars

Q1,Q2,Q5.....(10) = 18.00
Q3.....(2) = 0.96
Q4.....(2) = 1.98
D1.....(10) = 0.40
Z1-Z5.....(10) = 1.65

C1.....(2) = 10.02
C2,C4.....(4) = 18.32
C3.....(10) = 1.80
C5,C6,C7,C9,C11.....'obsolete' on digikey
C8,C10.....(4) = 1.20
C12.....(4) = 1.20

R0,R14,R15.....(10) = 4.88
R1.....(5) = 2.44
R2,R5.....(5) = 0.54
R3.....(5) = 0.54
R4.....(2) = 2.58
R6,R11,R12,R16,R17,R18.....(15) = 1.62
R7,R8.....(5) = 0.54
R9.....(5) = 0.54
R10.....(5) = 2.44
R13.....(5) = 0.54
R19.....(5) = 0.54
R20.....(5) = 2.44
-----------------
total for components = ~$76 + cost of those caps not found on digikey

heatsink - varies. the cheapest one i've seen on the web so far is probably the 24 incher at MECI for 30 bucks. you'd need 2 of those i guess...i'm not sure what the °C/W rating of that one is. you need one rated .3°C/W max.

transformer - haven't priced yet.

chassis - haven't priced that either - although the wood ones in the gallery at passdiy are probably pretty cheap to make.

pcb's - get 'em for $50 for a pair at pass, or get a friend to make some from the gerber files, or find a good deal at an online pcb manufacturer. (such as advanced circuits, where i got mine made. :eek: )

misc. expenses will include connectors, wire, power cord, maybe a cool meter or something, a neat power switch, and a BLUE LED IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

:nod:

hope this helps!

/andrew - is formulating his plan for the Ultimate Frugalphile Penultimate Zen Amplifier!

Cost of V4 Zen

I ended up with around 400.00 US in my Zen V4. I suspect you can build it a little cheaper. I spent three weekends on the chassis, but my family only gives short windows to do such.
The heatsinks are the toughest, lucked up on some at Tanners in Dallas. Went back two months later and someone had cleaned them out.
Also, be prepared to wait six weeks for the Plitron power transformers. They build them on order.

George

I'm building a pair of Zen V4 tube version. The design is a variation of NP's Zen V4 with a Tube instead of the ZVP.

At the moment the meter stopped at 350 euro.

I still need connectors and and thick piece of front material for the front of the cabinet. I've allready bought a bunch of blue leds though :clown:

You can get transformers from apexjr for $9.99. (48VCT 7A use half of the winding). I used a pair for my original zens. He also has some caps (10000uF 50V) for $1.50 each. The web address is http://www.apexjr.com I think it can be done for $50 per channel if you go really cheap on transformers, caps and heatsinks. If you really want PCB's try Olimex.

Darrell Harmon

Newcomer

Hi,

I am very happy that I found this forum. I have spent a lot of time reading many messages here. The stuff that is going on is quite impressive!

I have a desire to build a son of zen amp and a BoSoZ to match (mate?) with it. In Mr. Pass' article on the BoSoZ he gives a very nice listing of the components that he used with the Digikey part numbers. Does anyone know of a concise list of very high quality components with specs and for the SoZ? (and perhaps part numbers??:blush: ) If such a list exists I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to it.

Thank you very much.

Vic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.