fullrange speakers and Pass labs amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MikeW said:
I have a V9. It does not sound as good as the F1 with these speakers. How do I use the V9 as a current source?

Dennis beat me on the re-config for current source of the ZV9, so I'll just add a bit to it, as it is described well in the ZV9 article.

The most probable reason for the lack of bass with your by the book ZV9, is that the DF is too high. I tuned mine with a pot in series with the NFB.

Magura :)

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
MikeW said:
I finally got some full range speakers to go with my F1. It sounds very good. What other Pass Labs amps do you recommend to drive full range speakers? Would a tube amp give better bass?

I could recommend tube pre + F4.
In my opinion, F4 has great values in sound and others, e.g. fun of several variations as described in Papa's writing.

F4+fullrange

I am listening to an F4 and a set of Fe127 in a bi-pole fonken design. The sound is quite wonderful. The match is so good I disconected my sub woofer. The only place I miss the sub is for extremely deep bass found on some electronica type music. If tube sound is desired I recommend a tube preamp that has a bit of gain.
The F4 is quite a different beast. There is a review in 6moons that will provide some insight into the amp. There is along thread here that discusses the build.
Good luck

I have got very good results of Lowther Academy driven by Zen enlightenment with mosfets, IRFP044N. The IRFP044Ns perform quite well, much better than IRFP530 and IRFP250. Of course, a lot of bass and moderate highlight are showcased dynamically. The preamp is fold-coscoded x-bosoz. What I want to emphasize is that Zen amps also will dance with FullRange speakers.

MikeW said:
I changed R 17 to 220 k. A little improvement. Then removed it completely. What a difference. Very nice.
What does taking out the Aleph current source do? :D

Depending what type of speaker you got, the bass may become a little overwhelming like this, a 1M pot plus a 220K resistor gives you some adjustment if that is the case.

As for the disconnection of the active current source, well it will give you higher distortion, that's a fact. What is still to be figured is why a lot of people prefer this anyway. I have conducted a blind test of this, and found that most preferred it with a passive CCS, including myself.....I just can't figure why?

MikeW said:
I...Then removed it completely. What a difference. Very nice.
What does taking out the Aleph current source do? :D
:) I also noticed this, and was wondering why not so many people were running their ZV9 as transconductance amps...
By the way, put 10-30 ohm resistor across the speaker terminals (in case that you remove the feedback completely)...

Magura said:

What is still to be figured is why a lot of people prefer this anyway. I have conducted a blind test of this, and found that most preferred it with a passive CCS, including myself.....I just can't figure why?

Me too. With a passive CCS it sounds a bit leaner, bass is less pronounced, but highs sound softer and more pleasant...Overall it's more fun...

Vix said:

Me too. With a passive CCS it sounds a bit leaner, bass is less pronounced, but highs sound softer and more pleasant...Overall it's more fun...

As for the less bass impression, I see no reason for such to be real, but softer highs I am more or less sure it's due to the higher distortion.

I hate to admit this, but I think that many listeners likes a bit of distortion :rolleyes: myself included.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.