XLR shorting jumpers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2003, 07:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question XLR shorting jumpers

Does anybody knows if the shorting plugs, employed by some brands - among these Pass Labs - to connect the cold pin with the ground one in XLR female connectors, are custom made or can be bought?
These "U" jumpers are useful to restore the corrrect nfb figure, in case the unbalanced input were employed.
Thanks
Marcello
Old 4th March 2003, 09:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Marcello,

Ive looked on the web for them and at all the German suppliers but didnt find anything. Now Im using XLR plugs with an internal short.
For my X I will either use a switch on the back or a small switch or jumper on the print.

william
Old 4th March 2003, 10:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Marcello,

Follow William's (wuffwaff) advice - use male XLR plugs with an internal short, this is the easiest and absolutely politically correct way.

Ciao

Stan
Old 4th March 2003, 12:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello all!
Yes, this was my first thought, but for the preamplifier I need 8 male plugs!
The problem is not the cost, but this solution is not so "elegant".
I know, I'll have to made them with silver OFC...
Thanks anyway for your advice.

William, happy to see you again.
I finally finished my balanced preamplifier (BLS...), you were absolutely right, my Aleph(s) sound really well with the XLR input - and the Audioquest Python.
I couldn't believe this change!
Marcello
Old 4th March 2003, 01:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I took the easy road,

I bent some 2.5mm^2 220V installation wire to a open O ... Cheap and it works...

Edwin
Old 4th March 2003, 05:29 PM   #6
Lucas_G is offline Lucas_G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tortello
Hello all!
Yes, this was my first thought, but for the preamplifier I need 8 male plugs!
The problem is not the cost, but this solution is not so "elegant".
I know, I'll have to made them with silver OFC...
Thanks anyway for your advice.

William, happy to see you again.
I finally finished my balanced preamplifier (BLS...), you were absolutely right, my Aleph(s) sound really well with the XLR input - and the Audioquest Python.
I couldn't believe this change!
Marcello
I am happy too to see William again. I guess he has been very busy with his Aleph-X project!

I have used his advice on higher biasing the Aleph 5 for speakers with 4 Ohm impedance, and I am very happy with the sound of this pair of Aleph 5.

Marcello, what are you referring to? Is the XLR connection much better sounding? What other preamp did you have?
I saw that the AQ Python costs at least $500...
Is it really so excellent?

Regards,

Lucas.
Old 4th March 2003, 05:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucas_G
[B]

I am happy too to see William again. I guess he has been very busy with his Aleph-X project!

eh well actually he has been very bussy digging cars out of deep, deep snow in the north of Sweden

His X project is only going on really slow. The heatsinks have arrived and the aluminium is hopefully coming this week. Transformers and resistors are still underway so I hope itll be ready somewhere this sommer. Probably during a heatwave wich always seems to be the case when Im finishing some kind of class Aisch amp

william
Old 5th March 2003, 11:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I really don't know if the bal. connection is better or not, I still haven't tried to wire the BLS with the unbalanced output.
But the comprehensive result between the BLS and the AQ python is much better than the Bride of Zen - wired with the AQ Lapis - setup.
For the same reason I still haven't compared the Python with other good interconnect cables mantaining the same preamplifier ( I need to solder the RCA connectors..), as soon as possible I'll try and let you know.
In Italy they cost about 700 Euros (about 700 dollars) but I've purchased from a local shop as a demo object.
By now they seem to be very good cables.
Marcello
Old 5th March 2003, 03:24 PM   #9
Lucas_G is offline Lucas_G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tortello
I really don't know if the bal. connection is better or not, I still haven't tried to wire the BLS with the unbalanced output.
But the comprehensive result between the BLS and the AQ python is much better than the Bride of Zen - wired with the AQ Lapis - setup.
For the same reason I still haven't compared the Python with other good interconnect cables mantaining the same preamplifier ( I need to solder the RCA connectors..), as soon as possible I'll try and let you know.
In Italy they cost about 700 Euros (about 700 dollars) but I've purchased from a local shop as a demo object.
By now they seem to be very good cables.
Marcello

I have often heard that the boz must sound very coloured, whereas the bls and the Aleph P must sound much more neutral.
Is that also your experience?

Did anyone compare the sound of the bls with the Aleph P 1.7?

Lucas
Old 6th March 2003, 10:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don't think that the BoZ is coloured at all, I've compared it with others good preamplifiers and it sounded always very transparent and smooth.
But the BLS is better, even if I haven't compared them in the same conditions (unbalanced connections).
One of these evenings I'll do this experiment.
Marcello

Hide this!Advertise here!