Pumpkin preamp - More Boring Making Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cook Book - few more lines

Zen Mod said:

- In case that you are fluffy with setting absolute offset (DC voltage between plus and minus
outputs of Pumpkin ) , you'll have replicated DC on both INPUTS of Pumpkin ........ exactly
divided by ratio of feedback net .
That will result in screechy noise during volume pot turning .....
cure is simple - Papa-like ....... just include 2u2 good cap on each input leg (both + and -)
between pot and inputs ; that will block DC to reach pot .
Hehe - that cure is certainly less evil than using any kind of Servo"

regarding these caps - Holger (HB) already sez long time ago that he even will not try his :Pumpkin: without input caps ......... :D

as usuall , Cook Book can be found HERE

[/B]

You dont need to be fluffy, to need those input caps! I am sure I have been very very carefull to do the adjustments. With "very" I do mean very, indeed. I thought the woofer cones would fly through the room, when I first started up the Pampkin:D Horrible experience. If you dont like things like that, install the the input-caps;)
I didnt find them to hurt the sound in any way, though! Funny enough. I thought it would kill the transparency of the preamp, but it didnt.

:)

Zen Mod said:
Steen - I just tried for you that version ( if I'm not wrong - PD's ?) of simple 1543 DAC , feeding 22K input impedance of next stage ;

there is not enough dynamics ; sound is -sorta interesting (different than SSDac with xformers , certainly ) but just with occasional glimpse of life in it ; details are almost there , but everything is somehow flat ;

you'll always know that impedance mismatch is in case , if you have wakoo response of volume control ....... turning it up almost without normal response , and then suddenly you have enough volume ;

purely subjective described ...... ;)

Thanks a lot ZM. That pretty much matches my impression. Except that I found on top of that, the sound was Zingy and generally not pleasing at all. I have a few details I want to change. The IV resistors needs to be changed to something totally different. Like RIKEN carbon..... or some really old carbon mass resistors, you know the 1/4 watters the size of a 3-watter....

housing said:
Look.........Look!@@@@ :D :D :D

pumpkin1.jpg

shunty1.jpg

shunty2.jpg

Those are really nice looking pictures :) Nice and sharp closeup's.
BTW I like your filmcaps, indeed;)

Attachments

• evox_caps.jpg
    evox_caps.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,280
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

All ya guy's are nut's:D I know I asked for F4 preamp, and I really like the sound of it.... Well, I will simply build the psu into a seperate case, just like the one my Pumpkin is in right now:D Surely, two cases dissipates double up on the heat, right? ;) I have ordered the wood for it allready. BTW its Erocco-teak. Just hope I didnt butcher a rainforest:smash:

you'll be surprised if you make it as I wrote - with slots on both sides , on both bottom and upper plates ;

in that case - everything will stay in one box , with enough ventilation

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
ZM : 5309 are good caps right?
Why do you need some? New project?

1N5309 are sissy CCS-es needed for KSA100 duckies ;

wakoo dutchie does EU delivery of them , and - as usual - he probably made own stash in excessive numbers ( anything bellow 1000pcs is zu teuer for Jaccovitty :rofl: ) ........

I have KSA100 DiyA pcbs , literally thrown in/on my head by one cwayzee SF residented Serbie ,along with AX pcbs .......

now I have obligation to make more children , just to have someone to whom I'll give all my excessive amps (which I must make) ........

besides that - already mentioned wakoo dutchie augmented my curiosity for Marantz MA24 , presenting schematic to my (always hungry ) eyes .......

there is no big enough :rofl: for this ........

or is it :

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,163
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread is a synopsis of the thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124309&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

All of the off topic posts have been removed so it is less entertaining but possibly more useful to learn about the Pumpkin for those making it.
This edited synopsis is up to date as of June 4, 2008. There will of course be more threads posted on the original thread with the usual Off Topic posts mixed in of course, so go there to check on the latest posts, as some of them will be relevant to construction.

This is where this thread leaves off and the original thread continues:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...n-official-making-thread-212.html#post1529444

After the post #2112 nothing has been transferred to this thread.

Attachments

• greep.gif
    greep.gif
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,941
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.