Aleph 5 PSU problem please help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please help i have some problems with my friends aleph 5 psu
When amplifier is on there is a reference +34v on both rails but when i power off this amplifier there is 3v on minus to gnd rail and +10 volt on the second as senn on attached picture
is the caps bad or is it a normal behavior
is a bank of caps destroyed?
besides that amplifier woks extremly well

Attachments

• ale5-pwr.gif
    ale5-pwr.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 732
D'ont make any exchange between capacitors!

Put a 10 KOhm resistor betwen the + and ground and another 1ok resistor between - and ground at the output of the power suplly!

A half watt resistor will doo because the maximal current will be 3.4 mA!

And forget!!...and enjoy the sound!!!

Everything is OK :nod:

cheers

Jorge santos

snailx
maybe you have a problem... So this voltage is measured immediately after the amp is powered off? then I am guessing that the after afew secs everything goes to 0, right?
If the amp has a load, the two half of the output pair can behave as independent entities, if the CS mosfet bias is cut off more rapidly than the gain mosfet bias you would end up with such huge differences. If you think one of your caps is shot put a couple of 8 ohms resistors as the load instead of the amp and watch what happens. If you still see this behavior then one of the caps maybe gone.
You can also check out the dc offset between output and gnd or monitor the source drop after turn off with a couple of voltmeters, see what it does.
IMO is no problem unless you hear weird noises of measure a huge dc offset at turn-off.

Aleph amplifiers always seem to discharge the caps unevenly. Sometimes this will cause a turn off thump heard in the speakers. Just installing the bleeder resistirs will take care of this. Some experimentation may be necessary as both resistirs will be differing vaules to get the rails to come down together. The more capacitance you have in the supply, the worse the thump will be.
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.