My own Pumpkin preamp - Construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Hi ZM!

zeonrider said:
One Q, what kid of spices you used in your Cook Book?;)

Regards zeoN_Rider

:rofl:

Attachments

• sioux-indian-with-pipe.jpg
    sioux-indian-with-pipe.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,770
Zen Mod said:

I wrote more than once - just use plain sheet of 3mm Alu plate .

approximately 50% bigger than heatsinks in case , and it will be more than enough .

Yes, you have said that, I assumed that it will do for the large ones. Never thought it will do for the 2 small ones on the shunty.

BTW, I am now thinking of trying (HSK) 401-67503
- 3-15/16" x 1-5/8" x 1/2".
for the big ones.

Not sure what to do about the small ones, given that somewhere among the pumpkin threads somebody said 3degrees/W or better is needed or else the tranny will heatup quite a bit.

Algar,
Sorry for the threadjack.

ZM,
While I realize alum sheet will work it will not retain the shunty's studly appearance. Like clear backed watches I admire visual perfection in my projects (petty I know), but that is the beauty of diy. That being said the smaller T220 heat sinks fall in function category. If you have Euro source I will buy some extras and divvy them out on this hemisphere
Bill

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Instead of sheet one could get a piece of aluminum "C" channel and cut one of the legs shorter so it will bolt onto the board. The center portion (face?) of the channel would go vertically and the other leg would be full length and cover the big caps. This could be made very clean looking. 1/16" thick is less than 2mm but 3/32" would be a bit more and prob perfect... I'm going with 1/8" which is even thicker and easily available.

The only problem is attaching it to the holes in the board as you would have to tap up into the vertical part. But if you
cut the vertical part a little narrower than the holes in the board and leave the leg on the board wider than the holes, you can just have through holes in the leg on the board..

This could all be done laboriously with a hacksaw, and file or Dremal tool in a reasonable amount of time.. and could look quite good if cleaned up with 600 grit paper.

Algar_emi said:
Just made my custom heatsink, looking better than what I was expecting to use at first. It is made using 2 X HS276-ND from Digikey, cut in two, then screwed on an alu plate.

Algar,

That is good job, how did you get the cut to be so flush with the Alu plate. Did you grind it out with Dremell?

Manu said:
Fisher HS : SK 75/5O SA
Surch for KÜHLSCHIENE SK 75/5O SA on e.g. www.conrad.de

Manu,
Ouch, it is $1.71 each plus shipping. Looks like we do not have much of a choice but to bite the bullet.

Originally posted by wirewiggler
If you have Euro source I will buy some extras and divvy them out on this hemisphere

wirewiggler,
Thanks for the offer, If you are starting a GB, put me down for 4 of these small ones.

I heard no comments on my choice for using (HSK) 401-67503
for the big ones. Guess, this would work huh?

Regards,
Dinesh

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dviswa said:

Algar,

That is good job, how did you get the cut to be so flush with the Alu plate. Did you grind it out with Dremell?

Manu,
Ouch, it is $1.71 each plus shipping. Looks like we do not have much of a choice but to bite the bullet.

wirewiggler,
Thanks for the offer, If you are starting a GB, put me down for 4 of these small ones.

I heard no comments on my choice for using (HSK) 401-67503
for the big ones. Guess, this would work huh?

Regards,
Dinesh

beauty is in eye of beholder ..... :rofl:

few things - you are making here preamp worth nice number of greens , so - you really can't make it totally cheapie ........ if you insist on beauty .......... in that manner .....
second - I don't like to think instead of anyone else , when that person really can think for himself ;)
that 401.... is certainly good , so you can use it ;
besides that solution - I'm sure thaty you 'll find on any surplus place or junkyard what you need .... maybe not exactly prepared -as waiting for you- but certainly as part of something ;

if you can find few dead PC PS-es , I'm sure you can find both nice and effective heatsinks in them ....

It cut the heatsink on my bench saw, using a non-ferrous metal blade. Then, I used a belt grinder/sander to remove the cutting leftover.

Then, the 4 heatsink halves and the 1/8" aluminum plate were fixed in a small jig that I made to keep everything straight and well aligned. Nothing fancy, just a piece of wood, an piece of metal channel and two clamps.

I put some heatsink compound between the heatsink and the plate before assembly. They were all drilled together at the same time. Then I tapped the holes using a 4-40 tap. It took about 45min per heatsink assy to make. I did it in one Sunday afternoon.

I didn't try to save money. Just to make some nice heatsink and have fun...

To bad www.Conrad.de doesn't deliver to Canada, from their website "we do not deliver to the USA or Canada"...

Algar,
Nice, I did the same but larger on my F4 heat sinks and they literally wick heat away from the plate. R cores arrived they look sweet - ZM this may be my last preamp (he he - said that three preamp s ago).I am going to try to get a friend of mine to bring me 12 of the little TO220 heat sinks with her when she comes over from France, so I will have two spare sets.

Bill

Attachments

• pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,149
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wirewiggler said:
Algar,
Nice, I did the same but larger on my F4 heat sinks and they literally wick heat away from the plate. R cores arrived they look sweet - ZM this may be my last preamp (he he - said that three preamp s ago).I am going to try to get a friend of mine to bring me 12 of the little TO220 heat sinks with her when she comes over from France, so I will have two spare sets.

Bill

;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dviswa said:
ZM,

The machining of the surface has left ridges, I doubt if the silpad material can fill out the ridges well enough to provide a low thermal resistance interface.

well - without macro pic I can tell for sure , but silpad ( is that grayish thingie often found in dead PC PS-es ?) certainly look more than capable to fill even biggie ridges .......

look at my bluries in :Pumpkin: thread and you'll see the ones I use ...... Master Scavenger in work .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.