Capacitors for the Aleph 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

is it possible for me to change the capacitors in the diagram above to 33000uF 100v capacitors without changing the voltage output ? (sorry if my ques is a bit stupid)

and if i were to use a 40-0-40 transformers
do i need to change any of the values in the powersupply?
like for exapmle the rectifier and inductor value

Hi Hydesg,

I will regard the above capacitance (8x47000uF + inductors) as a maximum. If I couldn’t afford, or situation didn’t permit (I don’t have the space, the PCB, or I have already owned several of smaller values), I would still go with only 2X47000uF. If I got the space, may be I will add some more later. So, 8X33000uF/63V is OK.

If you put a 35V capacitor on a 40V rail, the caps might be blown. So, with 40V-0-40V, you may want caps rated for 63V or more. In my case, because I didn’t have the stock, I bought the 82V (This is what I recommend). 100V is better, but I think doesn’t worth the space and money. The most important element is the capacitance, not the voltage rating.

Theoretically, 4A/200V rectifier will do. So you don’t need to worry about rectifier. Many rectifiers are over-rated (very high current and voltage) for audio amplifier use..

The inductors (with also the caps) are for filtering very high frequencies (noise). You don’t need to change the inductance value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.