Replacement of tha WonderCaps in a Threshold FET/10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nounours18200 said:

I should get it in the coming days...

Of course I will replace them by other ones in the goal to get a sonic improvement: I will try the MIT RTX that some of you suggested above, unless there is something better.... (?)

Hi Nounours,

You might be interested in the 'ranking order' I just posted in the "Tripath Input Coupling Caps" thread.

Regards,

You might be interested in the 'ranking order' I just posted in the "Tripath Input Coupling Caps" thread.

Hi Bobken : I have found it, and will have a look at it ... Tks

Is there a phono stage?

No: the phono stage is another dedicated box which has exactly the same dimension than the FET/10 He itself. I do not have a turntable, so I do not need it...

Hi friends, I am back to my Fet-10 He upgrade study !

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php
s=&threadid=7593&highlight=

Sorry, it seems that this first reference didn't copy correctly. I hope that this time it is OK.

It took me a few minutes to find your tread, but i got it, here it is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/7593-black-gate-super-e-caps-7.html
Very interesting post, showing a lot of expertise...

If there is such a price difference, I would go for the MIT RTXs, but please be aware that other types of MIT caps do not sound as good as their RTX series.

I am just beginning the work on the future power supply, so I will only use the RTX line when Multicap will be used... To date i have ordered 4 RTX that will be used before the bridges , and after the bridges as decoupling caps. I will post a diagram of the future P.S. when I have time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nounours18200
Inside there are some (beautiful) white capacitors, marked : "WonderCap, 0.1µF/470V, Ultima with Danon"
Are those caps in parallel with bigger caps?
These caps are in the preamp box itself, and although I have not yet cheked it by myself, my friend the "technician" told me that they are not in the signal path, but used in the power supply section (the part of the P.S. located in the preamp box).
For the time being, I work only to rebuild the part of the P.S. being in the dedicated box: bigger transformer, 2 bridges instead of 1, new capacitors, high speed diodes (stealth) for the bridges, etc...
I will post the diagram soon (no time this evening). This will be the future P.S.

I have already work on the existing P.S., but not too much because I have to keep it operational as I use it daily to lesson to my system. I have replaced the original "big" capacitors by new ones bought from Threshold. They are 2x15.000µF 35V made by Sprague. I have also replaced a part of the P.S. caps located in the preamp box: they have been replaced by Nichicon FG gold tune (except 2 caps 47µF-50V replaced by "standard" caps 330µF-50V at the arrival of the umbelical cord , which will soon be replaced by Nichicon FG like the others).

The sonic result is a big improvement, particularly in the bass, and in the global speed. The bass is much more dynamic and articulated than before. The overall nature of the sound has not changed, just improved. This result has been obtained by changing a few caps for new ones, but no change in the design. A burn in period is maybe required, time will give me the answer.

I will keep you posted about the current work on the future P.S., in which the RTX will be use for AC filtering as wall as decoupling the big caps.

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I restart this post, as I have finished the (separated) power supply upgrade, so I am ready to upgrade the preamp.

Here is a photo of the Fet-10HE mainboard on which the 8 WonderCap capacitors are located:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This mainboard is NOT a preamplifier board, it is just a power supply board on which are located the daughter boards that process the signal.

So the WonderCaps capacitors are not on the signal path, I assume they are only on the power supply path.
Therefore, do you still believe that the MIT RTX are the best choice ? (as explained before, the goal is to increase the sonic performance)

Thanks for your help !

P.S.: I will post the pictures of my new (big and upgraded) power supply for you...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.