Boston area DIY: Date Feb23.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few of us are getting together to discuss and of course listen to some amps (oops did I mean music?).

So far, we have MikeW's AlephX, I have a few class AB amps to compare and hopefully a standard Aleph.

I live in Harvard, MA (route 2/Route 495).

I will be providing lunch (or at least my lovely wife Rosie will be).

Feel free to bring a child or two and of course, any significant other. My wife is an artist and has painted the walls of our house... (She has her hobbies and I have mine)

Best Regards,

Dale

dherman@ksaria.com

Please email for directions, information, RSVP, and phone numbers.

I just wanted to thank you and your wife for lunch. It was great meeting the guys. Now I can put faces with names. Also thanks for all your hard work with the boards. I never thought you would need more amps. Good luck finishing the Aleph 2's.

I MISSED IT!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! I had NO IDEA the get together was this weekend???? !!!! Dale, I wish I could have made it. Please email me next time there will be a get together. I've been watching the boards like crazy waiting for it :(

Hope you guys had a good time and I'll catch ya some other time...later all.

-Matthew K. Olson

Yes, I've been getting into building amps. I have build an ESP 8 channel lm3886 amp (project 19) and I have two giant monoblocks in the works (collecting parts) and also gainclones eventually. I have two matched toroids for my monoblocks ( probably Aussieamplifiers mono's) and I have 4 toroids for gainclones. :-D I have most of the caps needed too. If we can do another DIY that'd be great...a couple months away is fine...April...May?!! Later!

-Matthew K. Olson

:bawling: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

I don't know yet. Murphy's law is wreaking havoc on my Aleph2 build. I had a small burr on my heatsink (caused by breaking a tap), and it shorted out the chassis to the amp. I have fixed that problem and now have another channel to finish.

I would have loved to hear them both together. The AlephX sounded quite nice. Very nice mid section. Good bass control and sweet uppers. All in all, a very fine performer.

My preamp was creating some wierd distortions on vocals (at least it was apparent on vocals). We switched to a passive preamp and the sound was quite detailed.

Dale

Well, eventually I'll get to the aleph stuff. :-D I'd need to find an adequate heatsink for the aleph 2's. Or whatever you have. Do you have x boards? I have a buddy that bought like 20 heatsinks for aleph x's...so I'm sure I can get some offa him as soon as I get the $$. $$ is hard to come by in my line of work though (student) Let me know what you have, and maybe I'll bring my checkbook to the DIY in late spring :) thanks

-Matthew K. Olson

Thank you very much to Dale, Rosie and the kids. :wave:
Both my son an I had a great time. Quite an incredible place you guys have.

We compared a well regarded AB amp to Mike's Aleph-X, silverline speakers. I also got to listen to a pair of wilson puppy clones that quite frankly blew me away.:nod:

With any luck will get to do this again someday.

Dale built them. I must say I should have brought my wife to the party too. She could have gain some prospective on how much audio gear one family ought to have in the house ;)

Having said that, here is the link:
http://users.nac.net/markowitzgd/david/how_it_started.htm

Dale had a tube amp hooked up to them IMO an Aleph-X with 10kohm input resistors would do as well for the treble to avoid having to use the 'b' word.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.