Help! Strong hum from transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using a N.E.W A-20.1 amplifier (based on Pass design?) for a while. Today, for no reason, the transformer started to hum very loudly.

I didn't make any modifications to the amp, change any components in my system, move the amplifier, etc. There was no hum yesterday :(

I opened the top cover to check out the transformer. It is very securely fitted between two metal plates with rubber sheets in between. Don't know what is wrong.

Anyone who can recommend a way to fix or diagnose the problem?

hello again.. i had an amp that had a similar symptom, it was caused by a diode in my bridge(using discrete diodes like yours).
diodes are easily tested with a dmm just unsolder one leg and measure resistance both ways, should be close to 0 ohms one way and infinite resistance the other. thats an interesting looking p/s looks like your toroid has 2 sets of secondary windings with 2
diode bridges, i don't see any fuses between the bridge rectifiers and the driver boards, how many fuses does it have??

Elwood

hummmm

You can use you DMM set at DC at the proper volts range and check the AC, you should see 0 or possibly a dancing reading around .001 or so, if you get more then that look into a DC trap they are easy to build.
You could also have some windings going bad "short" in the trans, check the AC out before the rectifiers with out the humm and check it with the humm active if there is an appreciable difference the transformer could be on its way out. A bad rectifier will load the trans if shorted, but will cause humm at the speaker same goes for an open diode it will not load the trans but produce AC on the DC to the amp and you get hum.

Is there anyway that the top-cover-plate can be pressed down to touch the bolt through the toroid? That could form a shorted winding which would lead to noise and buzzing.

Are there any metal object or wires that could touch the toroid top-plate?

My apologies for the bad explanation.

You could probably search for "shorted turn" or something like that.

Regards TroelsM

The transformer does not get hot, but I haven't let the amp run very long when it was humming... at most 3 minutes. The transformer does not make contact with the case, as it is covered by a plastic film and is mounted between rubber sheets. I will have to wait until the next time hum appears to test your hypothesis. For better or worse, it may be a while before it happens again.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Look for a solid state lamp dimmer in your house, or similarly
controlled appliance. The Triacs in such circuits often do not
trigger symmetrically, putting a net DC on the AC line, which
drives toroidal transformers into saturation, making them
noisy. The clue here is the intermittent nature of the noise.

:cool:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
some1x said:
The transformer does not make contact with the case, as it is covered by a plastic film and is mounted between rubber sheets. I will have to wait until the next time hum appears to test your hypothesis. For better or worse, it may be a while before it happens again.

Troels is talking about a shorted turn caused by the transformer mounting bolt touching the top cover, and that would be bad...

How warm do those rectifiers get, by the way?

Are you sure you're not just hearing the dust bunnies starting a rebellion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.