External powersupply for Aleph X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to build a external powersupply for my Aleph X. Could you please help me decide what is best to integrate in my powersupply and amplifier?

For example

Powersupply: Toroid, rectifier bridge --> powercable --> Amp: CRC filter, boards

or

Powersupply: Toroid, rectifier bridge, CRC Filter --> powercable --> Amp: boards

Or is it advisable to add additional capacitors in de Amplifier.

Thank you.

Well, my quick answer would be -- do the second option:

Toroid, rectifier bridge, CRC Filter --> powercable --> Amp: boards.

Also, go with the CLC filter unless cost is really an issue. The stock BOSOZ has an addition filter cap. on the preamp board, away from the PS. I don't know it offers significant advantages in an amplifier setting, but I doubt that it would hurt.

If you use a CRC filter, I don't have a clear scientific explanation as to why this would be better, it just seems neater. If you use a CLC filter, then the inductor would be generating a field which in theory you want to keep away from your amp board.

JJ

I would suggest including another bank of Caps in your amp, after the power umbilical cord.

This keeps AC and DC pulses out of your amp chassis, but keeps the large power reserves close to your output stage.

Thus, the final picture would look like this:

Toroid, rectifier, CRC Filter --> powercable --> More Caps, Amp boards.

Eric

If you want to be really cunning, you could count the resistance of the umbilical as being part of the filter. Don't use huge cable. Use something like 16 or 18ga. and measure the resistance of, say, ten feet. You'll get a couple of tenths of an ohm, I imagine, which is a perfectly respectable resistance for a high current CRC filter.

Grey

I would like to present some of my experience and idea.

I use the concept of Modular Design.
Here is my arrangement

Variac-->Toroid Transformer -->Rectifier+CLC filters (with A & B outputs)

(A)-->Active regulator-->SOX/SOZ etc. needing +/- Vs

(B)-->ZEN Lite etc. needing +Vs and ground

There are two power outputs in the module "Rectifier+CLC filter".
Every modules are connected by power and chassis/ground cables.

Originally I build the SOZ 50W monoblocks which contains 2500VA transformera, filters and main amps in two compact chassis. Always I found it is very difficult and troublesome to modify/upgrad the inner parts. A single compact chassis may look simple and be easy to make, but finally I found I lost the funny and interesting of experiment -- the most important spiritual satisfaction for DIYers .

In such modular arrangement, latter I can repair, modify or replace parts on any moodule easily and quickly. In addition, I don't need to buy transformer and filters for each amp project. Transformer and filters are very expensive nowadays. Even I can switch the amps quickly and easily.

I just connected the SOX amp on. No problem! Sounds Great! Really!

I'm working on Zenlite amp. I want SOX/Zenlit to drive the Lowther Academy which has two speaker drivers, and my future speaker project Audiovector. Then latter I will make other Zen variations to enjoy their differences.

My little two-cent advice: be careful to the ground connecting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.