Blue Diode as Power Indicator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As it seems the blue LED is the only way to go for a power indicator, I have a dumb question. I read where others have wrapped a couple of turns around the toriodal power transformer to energize the light.
I just ordered a couple of Lumex "Ultra Super Blue" panel mount LED's for my upcoming projects. My question is how the diode lives with the AC coming off the transformer.
I trust others, but most I have seen work off the DC heaters on tube gear. Can you feed them AC without smoking these 5.00 each jewels?

TIA,
George

Blue diode wiring

Thanks for the advice on parts needed. I will wrap wire and measure voltage untill it gets to the proper range.
If there are replacements needed I will look into the Agilent LED's. The blue models are not available locally. But that is what is great about the net!

George

I put the cap after a rectifier diode, from the +V to ground. Then it is the blue led. I did it to get some ripple off the line voltage to the blue led. Now that I think of it maybe it is a silly idea, but it works. The bigger the cap the higher the voltage the blue led sees, that is why the cap is controlling the light intensity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.