"Zen" tube phono-amps ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2001, 10:12 PM   #1
peted is offline peted  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi - does anyone out there have a "Zen" style tube phono amp worth passing on - nice and simple for a tube virgin, to complement a BOZ & Zen Revisited amp? Failing that any good phono stage along the same philosophy?

Let's start with hi output 2-3mV cartridges first...

Cheers

Pete
Old 7th March 2001, 06:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default not sure

Maybe check out this one http://digilander.iol.it/essentialaudio/hybrid_home.htm
its a hybrid tube solid state
Old 8th March 2001, 12:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The problem you'll find in seeking a 'Zen' phono stage is that phono stages inherently need a lot of gain. That implies more than one stage. The RIAA eq is then going to chew up even more; insertion losses on passive RIAA sections typically run to 20 dB or so. (I'm quoting from memory, but I think that's right.)
If you find such a beast, be sure and post...I'd like to build one just to hear how it sounds.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!