PS question - CLC vs C filtering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have four large electrolytic caps that I want to use for a stereo non-monobloc Mini-Aleph. Do you think it would be better to have an individual PS per channel with one cap per rail, or have a single PS for both channels using a CLC arrangement?

Thanks,
Eric

I have never actually seen any discussion on the audible differences ( I don't mean hum) between CRC ,CLC etc.Are there any or is it just a matter of getting the PS to measure well?I guess if CLC was the best then everybody would be using it but in practice you don't see much of it in hi-end equipment or even in books on audio eg.Slone.I have only heard Musical Fidelity making a big deal of it with their "choke-regulated power supplies".
Since we are splitting hairs about directivity in resistors I don't understand why this doesn't raise much interest.??

Hi Protos,

Audiolabor used them too in their "Diamant" amps. (Seperate PS)
I´ve seen the pics in german "stereplay" and I think they used toroid core chokes. Inductance unknown. 2 caps before and 3 (probably same capacity) after the choke.
Besides that they are seldom employed.
I tend to think that it´s mostly a because of cost, space or weight and sometimes of reduced damping factor/higher internal resistance which could worsen bass control as most prestige amps are meant for full range use.

Franz

protos said:
I guess if CLC was the best then everybody would be using it but in practice you don't see much of it in hi-end equipment or even in books on audio
Hanzwillem said:

because inductors are large and expensive, versus small and cheap resistors. Since the audible difference is very small, companies will use the small and cheap alternative I guess...

Take a look into Mark Levinsons big Cello Audio Monos.

The choke is about the size of the XFMR.

Reason is (often forgotten) that you need an air gap in the
core because of heavy DC-current. this gap is necessary to
avoid saturation of the core. This leads to much bigger cores
to achieve a certain inductivity.

Many people use Xover chokes which is completely nonsense
since they work in this case just as a resistor with a saturated core!

Of course there is a big difference in performance!

Uli

;)

should work

should work, but be sure that it´s meant DC Ampères!
Normally this intertechnik stuff is for Xovers only and has
no gap at all! This 11A saturation is AC I fear!
Best way is to make your own toroid.
Take off the wire and cut a gap into the core with a sharp saw,
then rewind the wire. You will measure a very much lowered
inductivity!

PS: Hammonds DC-Chokes with eg 5 A DC and 10mH are as
big as a mains-transformer.
www.hammondmfg.com/195.htm
A saturated core leads to heat and loss of inductivity.
In this case a 0.47R 10W resistor is better, cheaper does the same job!

Uli;)

I'd go with the CLC as the ultimate (nearly all tube equipment uses CLC filtering, I guess because of it's poorer power suply noise rejection), but i'd wouldn't ignore the CRC either, CRC can do wonders if you don't mind the little drop in voltage. But as for if a CRC or CLC should be used instead of theseperate C filter for each channel, what do you want, better channel seperation or lower noise on your DC? I'd go with less noise on the DC personally. Or you could always go with a capacitance multiplyer circuit, I find they can work wonders when you get them right.

Serow said:
I did some simulations using PSUD II. A simple CRC seemed to be effective in reducing the ripple. The impedence of the capacitors seemed to significantly influence the amount of ripple.

Anyone have an idea of what level of ripple is acceptable, as a general rule?

IIMHO the main advantage of CRC is to reduce the load current peaks killing the rectifier and causing high frequency distortion,
by splitting the capacity into separated parts.

Uli

;)

Re: should work

uli said:
should work, but be sure that it´s meant DC Ampères!
Normally this intertechnik stuff is for Xovers only and has
no gap at all! This 11A saturation is AC I fear!
Best way is to make your own toroid.
Take off the wire and cut a gap into the core with a sharp saw,
then rewind the wire. You will measure a very much lowered
inductivity!
Oops, I just ordered four 2.2 mH torobars for the CLC filter in my Aleph5.
It should be 10.7 amp according to this link. How can I make shure that its DC and not AC? I don't think Intertechnik will have any more info on it.

How much ampere does an normal Aleph5 (dual mono powersupply) require (I understood something around 2A? Which can be doubled at peaks). Is that correct?

If the Torobars is no good enough I may still be able to cancel the order and replace it with four tritecs like these (however the DCR is much higher and I actually have not enough space left for them :( )

misuse

IMHO there´s a reason for making DC cores with an airgap.
To spend 16 Euros for a "resistor" (a choke with a saturated core
is nothing else!) is ridiculous!

Of course they "work well" = they don´t burn.
A 10W 0.47R resistor does the same job for 2 Euros!

PS: according to "Intertechnik" this coil handles 600W/8R = 8.7A
RMS BUT AC-current!
Normally you saturate a core without gap with fractions of that
current!

Theres a reason why no commercial manufacturer uses such
coils. ML from Cello Audio uses chokes which are of XFMR size
because of that gap which causes a big loss of inductance.

Uli:nod: :nod:

From what I understand there is not a very big difference between AC and DC saturation current. The inductor saturates at a certain current and doesn't care if it is DC or AC. Just make sure that (total) current never exceeds those 10.9A and you should be safe...

I think at least... :)

Hanzwillem said:
Or use them if you can get em cheap. I use the 2.2mH intertechnic in my 3Amps CLC PS and they work great.
I believe thats a Zen, isn't it? How does that compare to an Aleph5 (the current)?

What you would prefer: the tritecs (0.39 ohm) or the torobars (0.12 ohm)??

There also is a tritec with 3.5 mm^2 wire, but thats rather big and expensive (and 0.24 ohm)?

Aleph draws much more current from the PS than a Zen, but I haven't made an Aleph yet, so I can't compare. For last year I use my Zen with 2A bias to decrease the sink temperature a bit and then I don't think the air core chokes will get much saturated. They are 0.47 Ohm if I remember correctly.

I am planning on building an aleph-X, but for that PS I think I'll use CRC, I hear rather good results, so why not copy the good things others found out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.