Aleph60 Dumb Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All:

Don't completely flame me but is the Aleph60 a monoblock? In the service manual it mentions that it is a 60w/channel amp (implying two channels). In addition the manual states that the schematic is for one channel and the power supply for both channels. However, my calculations of idle current would correspond to the approximate 200 watts given in the specification for the overall unit (2.5 amps x 70 volts = 175 watts). So which is it: stereo or mono?

Thanks,

PaulyG

PaulyG said:
Hi All:
Don't completely flame me but is the Aleph60 a monoblock? In the service manual it mentions that it is a 60w/channel amp (implying two channels). In addition the manual states that the schematic is for one channel and the power supply for both channels. However, my calculations of idle current would correspond to the approximate 200 watts given in the specification for the overall unit (2.5 amps x 70 volts = 175 watts). So which is it: stereo or mono?

Thanks,
PaulyG
Maybe it is BOTH mono and stereo :xeye: :xeye:
Anyway they will soon tell you the answer..

/halo

You're sure you're not mixing the A30 into the picture? The A60 is a mono block and the power suppply is for one channel. The A30 is a stereo amplifier and the power supply in the schematic in the service manual for the A30 states that it is for both channels. Not so in the A60 service manual.

At least this is my understanding.

My guess is that you are correct that the 60 is a monoblock. Here is the text that was confusing me:

Pass Aleph 60 Service Information.

The Pass Aleph 60 has only two gain stages which are biased by current sources. Because of the inherent simplicity of the circuit, it is easy to understand and repair. There are no adjustments.

Figure 1 shows the simplified schematic of the amplifier. Two p channel Mosfets form an input differential pair biased by a current source operating at about 20 ma. The drain of the input Mosfet is attached to the gate of an n channel power Mosfet which forms the active output stage. It is biased by a current source at slightly less than 2.5 amps.

The voltage rails of the supply are at 35 volts, and the amplifier draws approximately 200 watts.

Figure 2 shows the actual schematic for the power supply and one channel.

Maybe I just read too much into that last sentence. Sounds like I need to have enough heat sink for 200 watts/channel, not just 200 watts total.

Thanks for your help,

PaulyG

i may be wrong, but i thought the aleph 60 was the
Volksamp version of the Aleph 5. It's a stereo amp.

The aleph 30 was the Volksamp update of the Aleph 3
the aleph 60 was the Volksamp update of the Aleph 5

but... i might be wrong

moe29
----------------------------
Let's go down the waterfall
Think about the good times and
Never look back
Never look back
-----------------------------

PaulyG:

No, I haven't built it, but I am looking at it. I picked up a couple of long heatsink extrusions that look exactly like those on the Aleph 30/60, except they are not black anodized.

Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Well, that's how I write manuals.
You should see my feeble attempts to write datasheets :( . Fortunately the marketers get hold of them and clean them up before they are released for public consumption...

PaulyG said:
Thanks to everyone for their input on this question.

Mike: did you build the Aleph60? It seems to be the right size from a heatsink and transformer standpoint (at least for me :nod: )

Paul

Hi,

I'm currently building one!!!
It is in state of waiting for the components.:cool:
I'll post pictures soon.

It is a dual mono stereo amp equiped with 625VA transformer and 130000mF p/ch.
The heatsinks are surplus and the total costs come round €500,-.
The link in building fase:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8292
All problems are solved... and looks much better than it looks on the pictures now. (more heatinks on front and back.)

It is like an Aleph 2, only 60Watts, and biased higher.
I could go for an aleph 2, but I find 60watts enough.
If you want good sound, so go for an aleph 60 instead aleph2, and bias it higher. 60:devilr: Watts is a lot. :)goodbad: depending also on speakers
;) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.