A PC Based Sound Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used it regularly. It has good and bad points. For spectral analysis, it works like a charm. I've had difficulty getting the speaker stuff to work, the documentation is pretty rough, and the guy who sells this hasn't responded to my questions.

You'll need a sound card, of course, and some bits of analog interfacing to present the sound card with voltage levels it can deal with and to avoid loading down the circuits under test.

SY said:
I've used it regularly. It has good and bad points. For spectral analysis, it works like a charm. I've had difficulty getting the speaker stuff to work, the documentation is pretty rough, and the guy who sells this hasn't responded to my questions.

You'll need a sound card, of course, and some bits of analog interfacing to present the sound card with voltage levels it can deal with and to avoid loading down the circuits under test.

Interesting!
So what are the good points that this program has?

Sure...i just wrote a couple of questions to him....hoping to receive response....ehehe....i was just deceiving myself thought :) !

Do you think this program is worth?

It seems to have everything (obiously i don't have high expatations as for an high level HP or Tek) : spectrum analyzer, distortion analyzer, scope, wave generator.

Did you make your own input buffer?
If so, could you share it?

I'm not thrilled with the idea of PC-based oscilloscopes using soundcards, independent of whose software is used. The bandwidth just isn't there.

This software is great for harmonic and intermod distortion analysis. I built my own interface box with capability to accept scope probes. Just a couple of buffers, a power supply, and a few resistors and caps. I control attenuation by my choice of scope probe (1x, 10x, 100x).

well in the truth with a 96kHz soundcard 16bit the maximum signal bandwidht would be half of that...therefore....48KHz....but i would realisticaly say....35KHz....

Yes....it's a little small....you are right!

It is 35euro...i don't know....just wondering...can i get something better for that price or let's say...even the double of that price?
How much should i spend to have something better?

Obviously in the future i will certainlt buy a real oscilloscope, wave gen and distortiometer...right now i don't have something like $800-1000 to spend on instruments (which is the minimum by buying old used equipments)

PC based oscilloscopes (USB) can be had for 250+ USD but I have not tried them. Analog scopes, second hand, are supposedly a better deal for the price. A regular PC soundcard can not really do oscilloscope duty.

But, for sound, spectral analysis, RTA etc, I use Audiotester a lot, it is the cheapest of them all save Speakerworkshop which I find unusable, and has some user friendly features such as curve operations, overlays etc., which others don't have. The only alternative in that price range is Arta, which costs about 80 Euros if I am not mistaken. It has some additonal features such as polar plots etc, but is a bit less friendly in curve operations.

Both Arta and Audiotester can be had as trial versions.

Seriously, you need a scope first and foremost, but that should set you back more than 100-150 euro for something reasonably useful.

I'm not familiar with all the soundcard interface software out there; for some years, I used the Dazyweb stuff which was functional but not user-friendly. It's gone now, I needed something new, and I saw that John Atwood had been using AudioTester. I liked the way his results looked, I know John and respect him deeply, and the price was right.

In retrospect, the ease of use for this, compared to the freeware I had used before, quickly paid for itself in reduced setup times. I just wish I could use it for speaker measurement instead of breaking out my old IMP system and computer.

Therefore, since i would use it as an oscilloscope-wave generator and distortiometer, would it be so disappointed? 35euro for it?

Would i be able to make reliable mesurements with the few bandwidth 35kHz that it has?

I would like to test the trial version!

May it be possible to have a link or a schematic for a good input stage to interface with the sound card?

i believe it so :smash: it's a 192Khz 24bit $200 sound card!

I have a medium performance sound card 96khz/16bit indeed.

I' m still trying to understand if the program can be usefull as scope wave gen distortiometer...that's all.
If it's useless as such, i don't even want to waiste 35euro!

The point is: if i have to spend $200 for and extra sound card at that point, i would buy an old 100MHz analogic tektronix.
I could still find the 456B for $150 or so..unfortunatelly shipping cost: $250: it stinks!

If this program would be preatty much reliable with a normal sound card....i would consider it....

Audio Measurement and Analysis Software

I use Arta !

You can use the software only in a demo mode. The demo mode of programs is fully functional except loading and saving of files.

The ARTA (Audio Real Time Analysis) program has functions of following measurement systems:

Impulse response measurement system with signal generators: periodic white noise, periodic pink noise, MLS, linear and logarithmic swept-sine.
Dual channel Fourier analyzer with signal generators: white noise, pink noise, periodic white noise and periodic pink noise.
Single channel Fourier analyzer with signal generators: periodic white noise and periodic pink noise.
Spectrum, octave band and THD analyzer with signal generators: sine, two sine, multitone, white noise, pink noise, periodic white noise and periodic pink noise.

The ARTA program is also a powerful analyzer of:

Gated frequency response,
Smoothed frequency response (in 1/n-octave bands),
Step response,
Impulse response envelope (ETC – curve),
Cumulative spectral decay waterfall graphs and sonogram,
Burst decay waterfall graphs and sonogram,
Energy decay in reverberant environments,
Room acoustical parameters,
Directivity patterns,
Speech intelligibility measures: MTF, STI, RASTI, %AL

Requirements to use the ARTA software are:
* Operating systems: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista.
* Processor class Pentium, clock frequency 400 MHz or higher.
* Memory requirement for Windows XP is 256MB, and for Windows Vista 1MB.
* Full duplex soundcard with synchronous clock for AD and DA converters.

The ARTA software has been successfully used with following soundcards:
* RME Fireface 800, RME HDSP
* M-Audio Audiophile 2496, USB Transit, Delta 44, Mobile USB Pro
* EMU 1820M, 1616M, 0404USB
* YAMAHA GO46 and Terratec Firewire FWX24 (sample rate manually tuned)
* Marian Trace Alpha, Terratec EWX 24/96
* Digigram VxPocket 440 - a notebook PCMCIA card
* Echo Layla 24, Echo Indigo I/O (notebook)
* TASCAM US-122 - USB audio
* Creative Soundblaster X-Fi (works on all sampling frequencies)
* Ego-Sys U24 USB and Waveterminal, ESI Quatafire 610
* Creative Soundblaster X-Fi (sound creation mode),
* Creative Soundblaster Live 24 and Extigy-USB, Audigy ZS laptop, but only at 48kHz sampling frequency,
* Turtle Beach Pinnacle and Fuji (good old ISA cards)

With less satisfying results the ARTA software can be used with following soundcards:
* Soundblaster MP3+ USB (notice: don't install SB driver, use a Windows XP default driver),
* Soundcards and on-board audio with AC97 codecs,

Homepage
Arta v. 1.3
Arta User Manual

The ARTA software is not patented, and does not contain technology constrained by existing patents. However, ARTA contains technology developed by other authors, that is described in their publications. ARTA user manual contains list of papers and standards that were used in a development of the ARTA Software.

Author of this software is:
Ivo Mateljan
Electroacoustic Laboratory, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, 21000 Split, Croatia.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the Price for it in full mode ?
Personal license enables the single user personal use of the ARTA Software. The price for the personal license is 79 euros

Commercial licence enables the institutional and multi-user use of the ARTA Software. The price for commercial license is 149 euros

Try it !

best regards
artQuake

it is a great program ...very elaborated....does a lot of things..... but i only need an oscilloscope-wave gen tool.
I'll certainly keep it installed on my hard drive 'cause i always wanted to have a program for the room analysis....

It will be very usefull...thought....to place trap on the room and fine adjust it.

It depends on what do you have to deal with.
I currently use Agilent DSAs and Spectrum Analyzers (very expensive, but you can trust on what you see) and an Audiomatica Clio system (nice tool, especially for loudspeaker systems, for general purposes too).
Even an "old" HP 3580A (which I use among others) is a very precise and reliable tool, if in calibrated condition

Check Audiomatica site:

http://www.audiomatica.com/

Marcello

:smash: :smash: :smash: eh eh eh!!

That audiomatica tool is specifically for who wants to work in the developing and/or placement of loudspeakers.

All this programs are very nice .... but...eh eh eh.... i was just searching for a simple-funcual- oscilloscope tool program, if there is a real functional one.
Unfortunatelly i didn't have the time to test this trial version of audiotest.
i'll try to do it as soon as posible and i will post the impression.

Does anybody know if there are available somewhere in Europe, where at least the shipping cost to Italy wouldn't be so hard as it is from the US, an old 100MHz Tek or something equivalet for a good price ad in functional conditions?

if so....please...keep me posted!

:cannotbe: :cool:

If I had all the time in the world I would take a busted HP 3581, change the switching to JFETs and interface it to a USB Data Acquisition Card. If you don't mind one which has been hit with the ugly stick look on EBay.

The HP 3581 will pretty acurately measure down to some tens of nano-volts. It has wonderful signal conditioning, uses crystal filters to get to a 3 Hz bandwidth.

It has wonderful signal conditioning, uses crystal filters to get to a 3 Hz bandwidth

I agree!
The 3580A /1A family are nice instruments, I like them a lot.
The calibration is a bit tedious, but they are very stable.
In the picture, my 3580A (1KHz, 1Vrms, inverse RIAA out of my Aleph Ono)

Attachments

• thd_1vrms_ir_l.jpg
    thd_1vrms_ir_l.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 485
PC based measurment software

i'm looking for a software that allows to perform
- real time analyses
- fast fourier transform
- impulse response measurement
- frequency response measurement

possibly i would like to be able to work the loudspeakers phase allignement (using the digital cross over in a three amps FirstWatt system)

While reading this threat i learned about
http://www.audiotester.de/
http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/index.htm
and found on the web
http://www.eaw.com/products/software/EAWSmaart/

i'm using a laptop and would also appreciate if i could be advised on which external usb / Firewire 1394 sound card to use

any advise would be welcome,tks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.