Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 10:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A PC Based Sound Analyzer

Hello to everybody.

I have just found this interesting thing.

This is the correlated link:

http://www.audiotester.de/

By using your own soundcard and this program togheter (registration cost is 18euro), it is able to do a lot of things.

Nevertheless, I don't understand if it needs external hardware.

What do you guys think about this?

Has anybody ever tried to use it?
Old 10th October 2007, 11:05 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've used it regularly. It has good and bad points. For spectral analysis, it works like a charm. I've had difficulty getting the speaker stuff to work, the documentation is pretty rough, and the guy who sells this hasn't responded to my questions.

You'll need a sound card, of course, and some bits of analog interfacing to present the sound card with voltage levels it can deal with and to avoid loading down the circuits under test.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by SY
hasn't responded
Mr Muller spends too much time on holidays and mountainbiking,
Old 10th October 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I've used it regularly. It has good and bad points. For spectral analysis, it works like a charm. I've had difficulty getting the speaker stuff to work, the documentation is pretty rough, and the guy who sells this hasn't responded to my questions.

You'll need a sound card, of course, and some bits of analog interfacing to present the sound card with voltage levels it can deal with and to avoid loading down the circuits under test.

Interesting!
So what are the good points that this program has?

Sure...i just wrote a couple of questions to him....hoping to receive response....ehehe....i was just deceiving myself thought !

Do you think this program is worth?

It seems to have everything (obiously i don't have high expatations as for an high level HP or Tek) : spectrum analyzer, distortion analyzer, scope, wave generator.

Did you make your own input buffer?
If so, could you share it?
Old 10th October 2007, 12:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not thrilled with the idea of PC-based oscilloscopes using soundcards, independent of whose software is used. The bandwidth just isn't there.

This software is great for harmonic and intermod distortion analysis. I built my own interface box with capability to accept scope probes. Just a couple of buffers, a power supply, and a few resistors and caps. I control attenuation by my choice of scope probe (1x, 10x, 100x).
Old 10th October 2007, 01:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

well in the truth with a 96kHz soundcard 16bit the maximum signal bandwidht would be half of that...therefore....48KHz....but i would realisticaly say....35KHz....

Yes....it's a little small....you are right!

It is 35euro...i don't know....just wondering...can i get something better for that price or let's say...even the double of that price?
How much should i spend to have something better?

Obviously in the future i will certainlt buy a real oscilloscope, wave gen and distortiometer...right now i don't have something like $800-1000 to spend on instruments (which is the minimum by buying old used equipments)
Old 10th October 2007, 01:31 PM   #7
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

PC based oscilloscopes (USB) can be had for 250+ USD but I have not tried them. Analog scopes, second hand, are supposedly a better deal for the price. A regular PC soundcard can not really do oscilloscope duty.

But, for sound, spectral analysis, RTA etc, I use Audiotester a lot, it is the cheapest of them all save Speakerworkshop which I find unusable, and has some user friendly features such as curve operations, overlays etc., which others don't have. The only alternative in that price range is Arta, which costs about 80 Euros if I am not mistaken. It has some additonal features such as polar plots etc, but is a bit less friendly in curve operations.

Both Arta and Audiotester can be had as trial versions.
Old 10th October 2007, 01:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Seriously, you need a scope first and foremost, but that should set you back more than 100-150 euro for something reasonably useful.

I'm not familiar with all the soundcard interface software out there; for some years, I used the Dazyweb stuff which was functional but not user-friendly. It's gone now, I needed something new, and I saw that John Atwood had been using AudioTester. I liked the way his results looked, I know John and respect him deeply, and the price was right.

In retrospect, the ease of use for this, compared to the freeware I had used before, quickly paid for itself in reduced setup times. I just wish I could use it for speaker measurement instead of breaking out my old IMP system and computer.
Old 10th October 2007, 01:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Therefore, since i would use it as an oscilloscope-wave generator and distortiometer, would it be so disappointed? 35euro for it?

Would i be able to make reliable mesurements with the few bandwidth 35kHz that it has?

I would like to test the trial version!

May it be possible to have a link or a schematic for a good input stage to interface with the sound card?
Old 10th October 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

As a signal generator for audio, it's superb as long as your sound card is superb. With an M-Audio Delta 192, the distortion plus noise betters 0.002% at 1kHz.

Hide this!Advertise here!