Rmaf 07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vix said:
Maybe it isn't fair comparison, but have you tried to drive that Lowther with the F2? (vs.F3)

IMHO the PM6A prefers the F3. Part of it is the damping factor,
which is more essential than with something like a DX55.

Still, it depends on what you're trying to do, and in this case
I wasn't asking for much bottom end from the Lowther.

:cool:

True story about WAF...I was talking about buying speakers and was seriously considering the big Magneplanars. On the way to listen to a pair, I told my ex-wife that they looked like room dividers. She said, "Uh huh," and, being wise, I fell silent and let that thought sink in without further input. We arrived at the store, she entered, walked the full length of the listening room, turned and gave me a puzzled frown.
"Where are the speakers?" she asked.
"You're standing between them," I said.
"We'll take them," she said to the dealer.
This before a note was heard.
The trick to the WAF game is to present them with something other than their preconceived notion. In the mental re-shuffling that takes place while they're trying to reconcile the perceived reality with their mental image, you have a window of opportunity.
It also helps to have a wife who's fundamentally a decent person--a test my ex failed in the long run--but I rectified the problem and my current circumstances are all I could ask for along those lines.
All told, I'd say that Nelson's open baffles stand a pretty good chance of being accepted. They aren't boxes, a shape that women have become conditioned to distrust. Nelson's speakers are smallish, flat, and have a wooden finish. I'd say it bodes well for spousal approval.

Grey

Nelson Pass said:

IMHO the PM6A prefers the F3. Part of it is the damping factor,
which is more essential than with something like a DX55.

Still, it depends on what you're trying to do, and in this case
I wasn't asking for much bottom end from the Lowther.

Will this OB system be making an apperance at The Burning Amp Festival this coming weekend?

Nelson Pass said:

The special PM6A's with 16 ohm, silver and Ticonal are about $1500
a pair, I believe, and the others are in the $1100 region.

Just FYI.. Yes, the prices on CommonSense Audio's website in $USD for the PM6A's are $1095 per pair and the silver coil upgrades are $50 per speaker.

The SEAS W26FX-001 are $311 each from Madisound or $1244 for the set..

THe CommonSense Lowther distributor said this about the silver coil option:

"Silver voicecoils are available for $50 each, but not recommended. They have the effect of lowering the detail of each respective driver. This is probably due to the heavier weight of silver. So, a DX3 Silver, for example, would sound like a DX2. So--rather than spending the extra money--we recommend just buying the next lower driver in the range."

Curious to better understand the design thinking when someone would use silver coils.

-David

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In my case, the silver examples were also coupled to Ticonal/
Alnico in the magnets, so it's difficult to attribute the character
to the silver alone, except to say that I like the silver/Ticonal
combination very much, with a slight preference to the 16 ohm
version. (In PM6A's)

I have now had a pretty wide experience with the various
drivers, and these have become my favorites. However I should
point out that there are those who swear by other versions.

Lowther Pricing

The Alnico PM6A's are $1095 per pair, silver adds $100 per pair. Ticonal adds $300 per pair.

David Dicks is entitled to his opinion about silver voice coils. You may wish to believe him, that is your choice. I choose to disagree, as do others.

IMHO silver sounds more cohesive and captures more low level detail and information. It gives more realism to the music. Some Lowther designs do not work as well with silver voice coils, such as the PM6C series. With the PM6A is is worth every penny.

If you want more information, please feel free to call or write directly, I do not want Nelson's thread turning into a Lowther commercial.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Favorite Stories

Nelson Pass said:

What I enjoyed about this system is that we broke as many rules
as possible:

"You can't get low end out of open baffles"

"You can't get low end out of such tiny open baffles

I would have said that too, until I heard Nelson's speakers. No bass worries there, especially on the Michel Jonasz cut. My OBs never had that much real low end.

Downstairs in room 5008 my buddy John had an OB rig about the same size as Nelson's with 3x12" (huge magnet) bass drivers per side. They would flap your pant legs and shake the concrete floor with only a little 12WPC T-Amp.

It can be done, and done well - if you know what you are doing. Some guys do. ;)

With all due respect to Mr. Pass and the others attending the show, the midbass from the Lowthers was seriously lacking. It may not mean much to anyone else, but for me it is very important for representing the sonority of classical music instruments such as the cello or the piano.

John

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jlsem said:
With all due respect to Mr. Pass and the others attending the show, the midbass from the Lowthers was seriously lacking. It may not mean much to anyone else, but for me it is very important for representing the sonority of classical music instruments such as the cello or the piano.

Alas, open baffles are not a cure for bad room acoustics.

The speakers measure flat and have acceptable mid-bass (IMHO)
in my 30' X 30', but as the room gets miniscule you not only have
the usual floor bounce, but also side walls which were approximately the same distance from the drivers, resulting in a
dip at about 150 Hz.

C'est la vie :cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK!

As I myself do not get out much at shows due to the crush of
admirers, I sent Colin with a camera, and I have culled out the
photos of cute girls and bad audio to present here in no
particular order:

First up, the RAAL tweeter (mounted temporarily on top of my
baffles)

Attachments

• raal.jpg
    raal.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 923
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.