Rmaf 07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I'm headed off to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (aka Rocky
Horror Show :) ) and my presence will be intermittent.

First Watt will be displaying with Lowther America, and I built
a nice baffle loudspeaker for the occasion.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them on this thread.

:cool:

Between the Rocky Mountain affair and the Burning Amp festival, it sounds like you folks are having too much fun over there. I would like to go to one or both, but reality decrees otherwise given the distance and expense.
Besides, my stuff tends to be non-portable, so even if I were to show up at Burning Amp, I'd be empty-handed, although it'd be fun to look at other peoples' stuff.
I have, on occasion, thought of trying to drum up something on this side of the continent, but there are only about a half-dozen of us in the Southeast and of those probably only two could attend.
All of which being a long-winded way of saying: I'm jealous.
Have fun, anyway.
(Grumble, grumble, mutter...)

Grey

GRollins said:
I have, on occasion, thought of trying to drum up something on this side of the continent, but there are only about a half-dozen of us in the Southeast and of those probably only two could attend.
(Grumble, grumble, mutter...)

Grey

Grey,

I would be interested in a response to this. I think you may be wrong.

mpmarino said:

Grey,

I think you may be wrong.

Sorry, what was that again? I couldn't hear you over the deafening silence.

Nelson,
Personally, I think an XA30 sounds like one of those things everyone falls in love with just because it's so cute. Kinda like a Matchbox Ferrari. You know it isn't real, but it looks so serious with that Mini-Me, one-eighth-your-size swagger that it's hard not to smile when you see one.

Grey

West coast in the autumn, East coast in the spring. Right.
Attendance, Autumn show: 195
Attendance, Spring show: 5 (some of which I lured from the ranks of the homeless with the promise of wine--someone remind me to pick up some MD 20/20 to serve the hoi polloi)
Mike,
I'm not sure whether Jam wants to be in the same room with me since he went over to the Dark Side. I don't serve the same master(s).
Nelson,
Somehow, I always thought that if I were to be kneecapped, it'd be the Mafia. Never thought I'd get it from an amp.

Grey

Atlanta is four hours or thereabouts from here. Brian is there and he's fairly active, but how many other (reasonably active) members are there? There used to be a fairly active member in Greenville (here in SC), but he dropped off the radar long ago.
Then there's Jam in Charlotte, but he turned to the Dark Side.
It's not a question of whether there are members--it's a question of go-juice. From what I've seen over the years, there are very, very few below Virginia and the vast majority of those are in the zero to ten post category, from which I deduce that their interest level is low. Shooting from the hip, I daresay that San Francisco alone has as many active members as the entire Southeast could muster on a good day...and therein lies the rub.
As for professionals in the Southeast, there's Cary in (you guessed it) Cary, NC, and Joule Electra on the GA/SC border, both tubes. Cary used to show some support for DIY with parts, but I haven't looked at their site in a while, having spent most of my R&D time on solid state for the last few years. J-E doesn't (as far as I know) have any interest in the DIY end of things. I'm not aware of any solid state people at all.
Nelson,
If--against all odds--this idea takes flight, I'll take responsibility for messing up your Rocky Mountain High thread. However, I don't see that we can attain critical mass.
Note to the guys on the far coast:
For my part, I do NOT want this to be some sort of competitive thing, either in attendance or Highly Esteemed Guests. You win on all fronts. I concede the field. Again, it's not likely to move, anyway.

Grey

P.S.: Yes, I know there are a decent number of folks in the Northeast, but the sheer logistics of moving any of my junk up there or even getting out from under Poppa duties for the week required preclude my further participation if things swing north. If that happens, my best wishes to all concerned and send me a post card.

EDIT: 'An hour west of Charlotte' being where? I was born up there in the mountains, you know.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GRollins said:
Note to the guys on the far coast:
For my part, I do NOT want this to be some sort of competitive thing, either in attendance or Highly Esteemed Guests. You win on all fronts. I concede the field. Again, it's not likely to move, anyway.

After a 1100 mile drive, I will state categorically that Denver is
quite far from the far coast. Earlier today we crossed something
marked "Continential Divide - Watch Out For the Crack"

:cool:

Nelson,
The roads through the Appalachian/Blue Ridge complex don't have any signs like that--at least none that I'm aware of. Of course, our cracks (of the fault line sort) don't generally express themselves on the surface the way yours do. They lurk beneath the surface, unseen, then lurch to life and destroy cities just when everyone has forgotten that such a thing is possible on this end of the continent. (Look up the big Charleston quake for reference. Or New Madrid, for that matter, though there were no big cities nearby.)
Actually, most of the signs up in the hills say something more along the lines of KOUNTRY KOOKIN' JUST AHEAD.
Those with an eye for detail might note that 'possums are scarce around those parts.
winslow,
My land is in the South Mountains, about ten miles west of Shelby. I come from a little south of there.

Grey

P.S.: One of the curious things about quakes on this side of the continent is that they can be felt hundreds of miles away. In California, someone on one side of a street can scratch his head and mutter, "Funny...I thought I felt something," only to look at his neighbor's house across the way and discover that it's been reduced to a pile of rubble. The difference? The bedrock over there is fractured by so many cracks and faults that each one acts like a tiny shock absorber. Over here the rock is contiguous, so the S and P waves run and run and run and run...fascinating stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.