Rmaf 07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Studley said:
Nelson

The usual counter argument to using active Xovers is that the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages of putting more circuitry in the signal path.

Would you care to comment on your new "special" Xover in this context?

And I suppose that the passive crossover in a non-active crossover doesn't count as circuitry?
I've been at this for roughly forty years, and this is the first time I've heard of this particular "usual counter argument." Active crossovers can be made with far better quality parts (polystyrene caps, for instance) and far tighter tolerance parts than you'll find in passive crossovers. The usual counter argument is cost, not circuitry.

Grey

The usual counter argument to using active Xovers is that the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages of putting more circuitry in the signal path.

of course, we are assuming that it is an active crossover, not a passive line level crossover.....now that is something I would like to see.....a Nelson Pass phase coherent x-over implemented as passive line level.

JJ

Can't wait for the pix and some stories, but somehow I suspect Burning Amp will be orders of magnitude more interesting.

RMAF

Jon - are those the units that BudP did his EnABL mod on? Or do you have those mounted on another set of speakers? I'm really interested in how the EnABL treated speakers compare.

We showed the stock PM6A 15 ohm silver voice coil units. Invited a few people for a Friday evening comparison with my EnABL'ed units. Since I was the disc jockey in the bad seat, and Lynn Olson was in the best seat, he is tagged with the effort of writing up the comparison.

Favorite Stories

None of these quotes are totally accurate, but are meant to give the gist of the conversation:

Visitor "You cannot hook Lowthers up to solid state amps"
Nelson "And when was that law passed?"

Visitor "These cannot sound good, they don't have a box"
(Music plays)
"You have got to be Sh***ing me!"
Sits and listens
A few more exciting quotes
Song ends. Visitor gives a standing ovation to the system, and walks out of the room giggling like a school girl, totally unbelieving of what he just heard.

Visitor "I am a speaker designer myself"
Music plays, starts with a piano
Visitor "That portrayed the hammer impact perfectly, proper impact and no ringing"
Sits, plays close attention.
Visitor "and the decay in the piano is correct"
Bass kicks in
Visitor "The texture of bass is unbelievable"
etc.

Re: Favorite Stories

Jon Ver Halen said:
None of these quotes are totally accurate, but are meant to give the gist of the conversation:

Visitor "You cannot hook Lowthers up to solid state amps"
Nelson "And when was that law passed?"

Visitor "These cannot sound good, they don't have a box"
(Music plays)
"You have got to be Sh***ing me!"
Sits and listens
A few more exciting quotes
Song ends. Visitor gives a standing ovation to the system, and walks out of the room giggling like a school girl, totally unbelieving of what he just heard.

Visitor "I am a speaker designer myself"
Music plays, starts with a piano
Visitor "That portrayed the hammer impact perfectly, proper impact and no ringing"
Sits, plays close attention.
Visitor "and the decay in the piano is correct"
Bass kicks in
Visitor "The texture of bass is unbelievable"
etc.

and which driver/enclosure elicited these responses?

as you might imagine, some of us non-attendees are curious (to say the least) about the impressions made by those polka-dot drivers

we'll just need to await Lynn's post

I was at the demonstration as well and will tell you that the drop in distortion was significant - enough so that a true ABX comparison would be a waste of time and money. I will be honest and say that I couldn't hear much difference between the two on the Everest classical lp (the noise was a distraction), and kept my mouth shut until some higher quality vinyl was spun and the difference became apparent. Lynn can do a much better job of describing what was actually going on. I don't remember Jon ever telling us which driver was which, but then again, he didn't have to.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.