Has the Pass Labs patent for Aleph 5 expired?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
25 years, as far as I know.

And only valid in the country of application, i.e. in the USA in case of the patent for the Aleph current source.

PS I do not support stealing intellectual properties for commercial gains, but I also want to mention what the law says. One year after the inventor applied for a patent in a certain country, he has the right to apply for the same worldwide. If he chooses not to do so, he has no protection in those other countries. The company I work for applies for key patents in up to 8 key countries for each important invention. Costs a lot of money, but there is no other way round.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=654701#post654701
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=654005#post654005

Patrick

Patents are like nuclear missiles. If there is a cold war between big guys, each would have to have about equal amount of them to stop the other having ideas. A waste of money really and only feeds the lawyers.

Very occasionally a small guy with a really good patent might get one of the big guys, but you've got to have guts AND bucks to fight your stand.

Patrick

"And only valid in the country of application, i.e. in the USA in case of the patent for the Aleph current source."

My knowledge of Patent law is sorely lacking but I would think laws are being broken if the stolen IP is being offered for sale in the USA. Perhaps the way around this is that it is being posted off shore but it still stinks and Ebay needs to tighten things up.

PaulCC

Paulcocom said:
"............................. Ebay needs to tighten things up................

It's strange how Ebay works.......

I tried to sell some legitimate disks of a Microsoft product, ie genuine microsoft product.

The listing was removed within a day !!

Yet some vendors apparently get away with almost anything !!!!!!

I suppose it depends on who you are.
Microsoft has more influence than Nelson Pass regardless of the rights or wrongs of the case.

Andy

Patent Term

EUVL said:
25 years, as far as I know.

And only valid in the country of application, i.e. in the USA in case of the patent for the Aleph current source.

PS I do not support stealing intellectual properties for commercial gains, but I also want to mention what the law says. One year after the inventor applied for a patent in a certain country, he has the right to apply for the same worldwide. If he chooses not to do so, he has no protection in those other countries. The company I work for applies for key patents in up to 8 key countries for each important invention. Costs a lot of money, but there is no other way round.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=654701#post654701
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=654005#post654005

Patrick

In the old days term of a US patent was 17 years from the date it was issued.

Now, for all patents filed after June 8, 1995, the term is 20 years from the date it was filed.

Exception for patents in force when the law was changed- For patents in force on or before June 8, 1995 you get the longer of the the 20 years from filing or 17 from issuance.

Re: Patent Term

lgreen said:

Now, for all patents filed after June 8, 1995, the term is 20 years from the date it was filed.

Exception for patents in force when the law was changed- For patents in force on or before June 8, 1995 you get the longer of the the 20 years from filing or 17 from issuance.

Patents are valid as long as you are willing to pay the fees for them - up to maximum 20 years from filing date and only valid in the country where they were filed.

As the yearly amount increases, nearly nobody (except pharma) holds the patent that long.

In fact there exists no such thing like "world patent"!

You have to file it in each country except the EU, where a European Patent Office in Munich (EPO) exists.

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I am not knocking anybody, but most of the high end circuits within the past 20 years that have been patented, where already done or patented 40 or more years ago. I searched extensively and have found other patents on current source amplifiers, especially a few that where fet based. I would think that patents are nice, but a REAL pain to defend. I would think that if a circuit is somehow different to a certain percentage, but still incorporates some of these commonly know patented techniques, then it would be nearly impossible to make a case. Unless of course a DIY'er used the exactly same circuit and same values, then it would be a complete copy, and that is not good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.