A new SOZ lurking..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

I am building myself a new SOZ, because I find I cannot live without one ;)

I've buildt several version in the past; the latest one was converted to a A30. While the A30 shure is a nice piece of machinery, there is something magic about the SOZ. I feel I connect more to the music with it.

One other excuse to "just bulid another SOZ", is that I have all the parts I need in my junk-boxes.

BUT, I'm going to use 4,7R instead of the 8R....
My rails are going to be very near 21VDC. I know, I'm going to pay an efficiency penalty for this, but I think it will be sligtly better. (Higher bias (1,75->2,5A, higher voltage (7->9V) on the Drains.
I will also use schottky's and lots of Rifa PEH200's (no coils).
4,7R is Arcol HS50, 1R Arcol HS15. The toroid is a ToroidTM 600VA 2*18VAC (it's going to have a hard time with the 400W power demand:cool: ->It'll have to be a semi-open enclosure...

Anyways; I've been going through the U=RI/P=UI calculations, and it doesn't seem like R7 (the horisontal 1R) needs to be a high-power device. I was thinking a 2W metalfilm? <----:att'n: This one I would like to have some feedback on:att'n:

I'll update as time permits.

I'd like some feedback on this, especially the R7 question
:confused:

Hi Mad_K

It seems to me, that you will get a voltageg swing at 1.5V at 1A over R7, so 2 W resistor might be a little on the edge.

I have simulated your setup, and here it seems as if you will lower the max output voltage swing a couple of volts by replacing all 8Ohms with 4.7Ohms and a lot more heat and stress to the 600VA transformer.
Any particular reason?

Thanks Henrik! How do you calculate the U/I for R7? I'm going to try so simulate some myself, but I've never done it before.

-I thought I got a few volts more outputswing?

The reason is that I have the 4,7R in my box.. Maybe I'll go into the thinking box a little more....

The Mini-SOZ

How about something like this?

Attachments

• minisoz.jpg
    minisoz.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 302
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.