UGS Power : it's U.P. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default UGS Power : it's U.P.

Hi all,

Being personally fond of the sound of my UGS modules - nobody's perfect -, I wanted to test some ideas we've been talking about with my friend Philbyx, who owns the paternity of the idea His sharp neuronal connections made a link between the UGS schematic and the Zenquito, a french PP amp which seems to be quite highly appreciated from French DIYers (http://perso.orange.fr/jm.plantefeve/sche.html). So we decided to take this concept further and, stimulated by the Aleph-X brainstorming, we began to test and build something.

A word of warning here : this beast uses the now infamous dual japanese JFets 2SK389/2SJ109. Shame on me, I know... But I had some of them... What else could I do ?

So here's what I finally came upon (see attached pdf)... Nothing very fancy or new, just basic building blocks put together. The front end is a basic current-mirror ugs, with increased current output capabilities to properly drive paralleled mosfets. The current mirror transistors have been changed to handle the power requirements, and I used 2SC2911/2SA1209 for their nice characteristics.

The front end is followed by a classical Vbe multiplier for biasing a typical triple pushpull of mosfets. I'd rather see this biasing stage as a kind of shunt regulator, but that's only a matter of words I kept the resistor network at the output of the UGS to be able to test the difference between global and local feedback (using jumpers).

The power supply is built from a 2x18V 400VA transformer (1 per channel) with a CLC filter, giving a rough 23V at rails. The front end is powered a bit higher (30V) using a voltage doubler ( la A75 ), followed by discrete regulators, to provide more output swing from the front end.

The mosfets are idling at 250/300mA each for the moment, and on the bench, the max output power (before clipping) is close to 100W in 8 Ohms. More than I need

I've added an on board DC protection, but I must confess I'm amazed by the offset performances : under the mV on diff offset, and under 5mV on absolute offset...

It's only at prototype stage for the moment, and I began the listening sessions comparing them to my Aleph X.

How to say... In a few words, the AX is rounder, warmer, softer... The U.P. is sharper, wider, faster. The AX gives a "classical" class A feeling, with warmth and lushness, but a bit of fuzzyness. The U.P. seems a bit "cold" in comparison, but seems to be more "balanced", in the sense that it does not seem to emphasis anything. It goes higher (some veil on the AX in comparison), is faster. The bass has a better slam than the AX which seems a bit slow here. And most of all, the U.P. is awesome on the spatialization. Not that it widens everything outrageously, but it's much more accurate and refined, much less fuzzy than the AX. Every frequency seem to be much more isolated and located...

Well, I'm not good at putting it in words, but both AX and U.P. are marvelous amps, and I will have hard times to chose. I still have some test to do on the feedback path (still haven't done extensive listening on the local feedback configuration).

Some photographs of the beasts at work :

The AX/U.P. challenge
Click the image to open in full size.

One channel :

Closeup :

Once again, a zillion thanks to Nelson Pass for guiding us to the stratosphere
And warm thanks to Philbyx Feel free to post your version here
Thanks also to Marc and Ninio, for supporting this without listening You'll be rewarded
Attached Files
File Type: pdf up.pdf (25.8 KB, 2875 views)
Old 18th September 2007, 11:26 AM   #2
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wonderful work, Cheff. Astonishing looking pictures Very nice.

Steen
Old 18th September 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm amazed!!

My compliment to your excellent work!
Old 18th September 2007, 01:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Gentlemen
But for the moment, that's just an idea turning real.

And Steen, your F4's gorgeous too...
And it has a case
Old 18th September 2007, 02:04 PM   #5
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

cheffdegaar:

excellent work and great pics! i like and use the 2SC2911/2SA1209 pair in projects, too!

mlloyd1
Old 18th September 2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

what can I say............

Ugly!

Old 18th September 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod
what can I say............

Ugly!

I should have bet

Quote:
Originally posted by mlloyd1
excellent work and great pics! i like and use the 2SC2911/2SA1209 pair in projects, too!
Thanks mlloyd1 And sure, these BJTS are really great for medium power stages in audio

Cheers,
Old 18th September 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

just two questions:

what type of copper board did you use?
I usually use bungards 35u presensibilited.

Good job with the routing of this amp.

Just wondering why the copper looks silver shiny instead of copper.
Did you coat your board with something?

Last question:

Very interesting your review of the two amps (UGS and AX); since you did a great job with this, would it be possible to see some pics of your aleph AX inside and outside?
Old 18th September 2007, 03:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefanoo
just two questions:

what type of copper board did you use?
I usually use bungards 35u presensibilited.

Good job with the routing of this amp.

Just wondering why the copper looks silver shiny instead of copper.
Did you coat your board with something?

These boards were only for testing purposes, so they're suboptimal : 35m copper, power traces a bit too narrow, etc... The copper has been tinned using a tinning solution for pcbs.

Last question:

Very interesting your review of the two amps (UGS and AX); since you did a great job with this, would it be possible to see some pics of your aleph AX inside and outside?

It has been presented here : Merry Aleph-X-Mas !
Old 18th September 2007, 04:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Interesting: great job with your AX.

The PCB looks sweet.

were both PCB, AX and this, used only for testing purposes?
Where do you get your board done once they've passed testing session?
What specs do you use for the board: thikness of the copper and so on?

I'm approaching to my aleph P 1.7 tonight i will make the board...and next....who knows when....the time .... this is the deal.....but anyways....my next would be AX.

I just went a bit slower than i could 'cause i had problem to self make a double layer boar.

I might.....and outline might... found a way to line up the two layers...hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to post something.... and so...if this works....my aleph AX should go a little faster...in terms o developing time ...at least in reguards of the board and stuff...

Hide this!Advertise here!