UGS Power : it's U.P. - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 09:24 PM   #321
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm problem must be at albecoiqui ....
Old 24th October 2012, 10:39 PM   #322
johnyM is offline johnyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
Hi,

This will be helpfull guys
Why you think this is helpful?
Old 25th October 2012, 09:07 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

It's the BOM for the amplifier...all the data you need about the resistors and all other components...

and if you use 0.25W resistors where François ( the designer ) suggests 0.6W ..it might well work but....long term stability of the resistor value will very probably change and funny things will happen.

There is a very good example of this in the UGS pre amp...the earth return resistor had to be upgraded to 2 W because switch on transients were degrading it so much that value changed completely.

It's not only stable running conditions that have to be considered but very especially the abnormal ones like switch on as well.

...hope this helps more :-)

C

Last edited by CeeVee; 25th October 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:23 PM   #324
rade95 is offline rade95  United States
diyAudio Member

There are still people there who would like to build the UGS power amp. The schematic site is down, is there a way to get those schamatics and PCB layouts emailed here, or direct to me rade95[at]gmail.com. Thanks guys.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:44 AM   #325
diyAudio Member

..here you go...good luck with your build.

: Index of /diy/UP
Old 20th February 2013, 05:04 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

I have now spent a few weeks living with the UGS preamp and I love it. It's driving a Sympatico from Twisted Pear at the moment, into a pair of Frugal Horns. There is super control, great clarity, detail and power. The background is so inky black quiet.

So I'm now thinking UP, or F5 balanced Turbo. Does anyone have any UP boards spare?

On the other hand the Sympatico is sounding very very good. Would UP sound different? Advice welcome.
Old 20th February 2013, 06:33 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkandtalk View Post
I have now spent a few weeks living with the UGS preamp and I love it. It's driving a Sympatico from Twisted Pear at the moment, into a pair of Frugal Horns. There is super control, great clarity, detail and power. The background is so inky black quiet.

So I'm now thinking UP, or F5 balanced Turbo. Does anyone have any UP boards spare?

On the other hand the Sympatico is sounding very very good. Would UP sound different? Advice welcome.
Comparing tha Simpatico to the UP isnt really fair....the UP is at another level.
Read some of François initial comparison test with his first prototype of the UP against his own Aleph X clone i think and the UP come out on top.....it's worth reading a bit.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:37 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Thanks CV

Getting a set of boards to build either UP or F5X won't be easy. F5Tv2 balanced boards will be available soon from the store and a simpler build than UP. But I have a leaning towards UP to match UGS.

I have never had boards made from Gerbers before - first time for everything!
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:09 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

Thank you Itsmee for the UP boards.

Construction has begun
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:56 AM   #330
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Your welcome, I'm glad that they have been put to use.
I built my UP from UGS modules and BA2 output stage with 1.4A bias.

Hide this!Advertise here!