UGS Power : it's U.P.

Don't be upset...
ctong said:
Perhaps my question was not clear. What I intended to ask was that why the tails of the N-channel input pair are connected to those of the P-channel pair instead of going to the negative supply.
And my question now : why would you do so ?
Have a look at http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/preamp_ugs/pdf/UGS pour les nuls.pdf
Sorry, it's in french, but equations and drawings should be self-explaining...

CheffDeGaar said:

Have a look at http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/preamp_ugs/pdf/UGS pour les nuls.pdf
Sorry, it's in french, but equations and drawings should be self-explaining...

Wish someone would translate that writing to Danish (or maybe better English;) )

I took the time to build the seriesreg supplies and took the preamp apart to install them. The seriesreg sounds great and doesnt leave much to the advantage of the shuntregs. Actually the seriesreg sounds better than expected. Ofcourse you cant expect anything for real. Without building and listening you wont know for sure, and that was confirmed again here. The shuntreg didnt have as much impact on the UGS preamp as I have experienced with many other circuits. I still prefer the shuntreg's, but it is with a small margin. The sound is a bit more direct and unveiled with the shunt. I bet this will be a matter of taste, if one prefers the one over the other. Both are very very good, with that little edge to the shuntreg.
Hope this is helpful for someone, it took a hell of a time:D
Attached is a pic of the UGS preamp, sporting the seriesreg's in a dirty setup.

:)

Attachments

• ugs_seriesreg.jpg
    ugs_seriesreg.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,290
beiji said:
Hi,

Have you try with the both regulation in series :
the seriereg in first (regulate to 24V + dropout voltage needing by the shuntreg) and the shuntreg after.
One guy has try on the french forum and has enjoyed.

No, but it should be worth a try. I did try with a Lm317/337 as a pre reg, when testing a trafo with a too large secondary voltage at some point, and that worked extremely well. I might go back to that, when I rebuild the preamp to go fully dualmono with two trafos.
If I decide to try your idea, I will ofcourse report back.

What shuntreg did the French guy use?

steenoe said:

Wish someone would translate that writing to Danish (or maybe better English;) )

I took the time to build the seriesreg supplies and took the preamp apart to install them. The seriesreg sounds great and doesnt leave much to the advantage of the shuntregs. Actually the seriesreg sounds better than expected. Ofcourse you cant expect anything for real. Without building and listening you wont know for sure, and that was confirmed again here. The shuntreg didnt have as much impact on the UGS preamp as I have experienced with many other circuits. I still prefer the shuntreg's, but it is with a small margin. The sound is a bit more direct and unveiled with the shunt. I bet this will be a matter of taste, if one prefers the one over the other. Both are very very good, with that little edge to the shuntreg.
Attached is a pic of the UGS preamp, sporting the seriesreg's in a dirty setup.

Yes, Cheff’s series reg is a very nice design; I’m not surprised about your comments.

Thanks Steen for sharing results on this comparo… lots of work there.
:cool:

Zen Mod said:

nice article
Thanks Master :)
And thanks for translation ;)
The next step is to translate it back to french from english. Should be Pythonesque :clown:

steenoe said:

Steen, thanks a lot for reporting. And sure it's helpful ;) And it reminds me of an old idea I was toying with when designing the ugs motherboards : make everything pluggable : ugs, supply, relay pot, to be able to test any idea simply swapping the pcbs. A pity I was too lazy to do so...
But be sure I'll test the toolereg in a near future. I just have to find the easiest way to plug/unplug ;)
Anyway, many thanks for your hard work :worship:
steenoe said:
What shuntreg did the French guy use?

If I'm not mistaken, it's this one :
http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/preamp_ugs/Carmignani/carmignani_alimshunt.pdf

Cheers

CheffDeGaar said:

Steen, thanks a lot for reporting. And sure it's helpful ;) And it reminds me of an old idea I was toying with when designing the ugs motherboards : make everything pluggable : ugs, supply, relay pot, to be able to test any idea simply swapping the pcbs. A pity I was too lazy to do so...
But be sure I'll test the toolereg in a near future. I just have to find the easiest way to plug/unplug ;)
Anyway, many thanks for your hard work :worship:

If I'm not mistaken, it's this one :
http://psykok.homelinux.org/diy/preamp_ugs/Carmignani/carmignani_alimshunt.pdf

Cheers

You are most welcome. I was just kiddin' about all the time it took, ofcourse;)

Thanks for the link to the shuntreg. Actually I think the Toolereg would benefit from a better voltage ref, like the ones used by the Opamp supply you linked to; TL431 or maybe even better the LM336-5. Ofcourse this would mean more parts, loosing some of the simplicity and the performance is allready more than good enough. A better input CCS could probably also be constructed, so it is a never ending story..

I failed to see what " Versailles High School" has to do with SUSY:D