UGS Power : it's U.P.

I have build a pair of CheffDeGaar's UP's:) I went for monoblocks for several reasons; free hands on the biaslevel, room enough for big supplies and finally I had the hardware allready for 2 cases. PSU is 1000VA, 4x68.000uF Rifa's and 1,8mH aircore inductors (Magura's work) per channel. Otherwise my UP's are just like the original schematic. Mosfets are matched in groups of 6 to within 0,01V VGS. Input dual Jfets are matched for Idss to within 1%. Final weight per channel is just under 40kg each.
The UP's are very very stable and easy to adjust. Both relative and absolute offsets stays under 0,1mV without any thermal runaway or any other nasties. Very impressive and pure joy:)
I feel lucky to have been able to get my hands on a pair of boards, through a very good friend in France;) The boards are perfect and the project has been a pleasure and comming together like a breeze. Still need to fit the faceplates though, as they are being machined right now.
So how do they sound? Well, they doesnt dissapoint. The UP's has it all and is a very complete sounding amp. The UP's easily betters everything else I have built!
The overall sound is very, very pleasant and at no point getting tiring. They can play loud with superb control without getting muddy. I guess the topology is well suited for driving a load;) They feel very strong and in control. One aspect to emphasize is the soundstage, which is just tremendous. Width and depth is superb. Very impressive.
Well enough of that, I am still in a state of slight chock:eek:
The DIY journey is a trip with small incremental improvements on the fly.
The UP's sums it all UP. I dont feel like building amps for a while.
Thanks to Nelson for guidance to the universe, and thanks to CheffDeGaar for paving the road:cool:

:)

Attachments

• up_nearly done.jpg
    up_nearly done.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,448
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

You know why....Funny boy:D

I am looking for a decent speaker project right now. The 10k USD midfi cr#p is no good anymore.

:)

crazy danske .......... you finally have proper AX (or XA , whatever ) Papamp ......

now ..... when you find decent spks to made - then you will make smaller amp :rofl:

good spks don't need that power :clown:

as always :

:worship: