BOSOZ Hum Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2007, 06:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BOSOZ Hum Problem

When I finished my Bosoz and connected to a power amp there was identical hum on both channels which did not change when the volume was turned up. I could hear the music from a CD once it was louder than the hum!! I have been trying to find the source of the hum for some time and now need some advice please.

I now have only the amp board(both channels on same board) connected to the PSU ( 2 transformer design giving +57.3 and -56.8. The amp inputs are all grounded as are the -ve ouputs. 2 RCAs are connected to the +ve outputs with individual screened cable.

The hum is there on both channels still!!

The PSU and signal earth for both channels are common and are connected to chassis earth with a varistor.

Where should I start looking to sort this out please?
Old 15th September 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BOSOZ Hum Problem

nice picture of innards worth as many words

in moment of powering off poor creature , does hum gone or is still there for few moments , 'till caps are still charged?

that's plain old test is it hum induced from PS , both from ripple or from xformer field
Old 16th September 2007, 01:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Impossible to tell if the hum continues as switching off the BOSOZ causes a thump in the speakers and the power amp goes into protection mode.
Old 16th September 2007, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have checked all voltages as per the building instructions on the Pass site and all are correct. My circuit boards are identical to those on the Pass site. Any thoughts please?
Old 16th September 2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

pictures please,or better xplanation how you made grounds
Old 16th September 2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you are using this with unbalanced connections. Did you use a wire link to ground the - inputs and - outputs, or did you use a resistor? Also, did you remember to include R18 and R19 in your offboard connections?
Old 17th September 2007, 08:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

1. The boards and earthing arrangements are identical to the Pass site. Both channels share earth on amp board-amp board earth linked to PSU board with single wire-both then linked to chassis earth via varistor.

2. I have grounded the inputs and -ve outputs with wire and not resistors.

3. I have zener protection on inputs but not R18 and 19!! My mistake -I wonder why they are not fitted on the main circuit board?

Could the missing R18/19 cause oscillation even with grounded inputs?
Old 17th September 2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

If you examine the schematic included on page four of the construction manual .pdf found on the passdiy site, you will see that R18 should be soldered inline with the +IN signal, and R19 is intended to be used inline with the -IN signal. Since you are operating with an unbalanced signal, you have tied the -IN to GND. You still want the R18 resistors inline with the +IN signal. You will need one 221ohm resistor for each each +IN connection (two total). You actually would not need these resistors (R18) if you had not used the input zener protection. If you send a voltage directly to the zener, parasitic oscillations may occur (pg. 7 of 9, construction manual .pdf).

I am not sure why R18/19 are not included on the board, but they are easy to miss, I think.

The use of a resistor rather than wire when grounding the input (-IN) is to help prevent a ground loop. I forget what value I used offhand; I think it was something nominal like a 221ohm. Maybe someone else has a thought on that one.
Old 17th September 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Many thanks. At the moment there are no RCA or XLRs connected to the inputs and I have grounded the +ve and -ve inputs on both channels and the -ve outputs. RCAs are wired to the +ve outputs for testing purposes.

So to make a difference to the hum I am getting the 221 ohms would have to be connected from +ve and -ve inputs to earth?
Old 17th September 2007, 03:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well I grounded all the inputs via 200 ohm resistors (nearest I had to 221) and no change to the hum, which is the same on both channels and does not change with increases in volume.

What next?

Hide this!Advertise here!