BOSOZ Connections - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2007, 03:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BOSOZ Connections

I have just finished my BOSOZ and wanted to check input and output connections before testing. I have one balanced and 3 single-ended inputs and balanced outs with single-ended RCAs in parallel with XLRs - RCA connections taken from the +ve XLR connections.

My question is: when using single-ended inputs and output, should the -ve input and -ve output on each channel be shorted to earth or only the -ve inputs ?

I have seen mention of connecting the -ve to earth through a resistor-do I need to do this or connect direct to earth?

Any help gratefully received!!
Old 13th September 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BOSOZ Connections

Quote:
Originally posted by hifileslie
I have just finished my BOSOZ and wanted to check input and output connections before testing. I have one balanced and 3 single-ended inputs and balanced outs with single-ended RCAs in parallel with XLRs - RCA connections taken from the +ve XLR connections.

My question is: when using single-ended inputs and output, should the -ve input and -ve output on each channel be shorted to earth or only the -ve inputs ?
Both should ideally be shorted to ground, but if you wanted to, you could easily get away with shorting only the input to ground.

I have seen mention of connecting the -ve to earth through a resistor-do I need to do this or connect direct to earth? Nope you dont need to do that!

Steen.

Old 13th September 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wow, figure out the answers yourself!!!
Old 13th September 2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BOSOZ Connections

Quote:
Originally posted by hifileslie

I have seen mention of connecting the -ve to earth through a resistor-do I need to do this or connect direct to earth?

if you have unbalanced source- then you must tie - input and gnd on that preamp input xlr (or in cable xlr jack itself)

if you have unbalanced input on amp- you must tie - output pin and gnd ,also best place for that is on output cable XLR jack itself

conclusion :

leave preamp alone of all that shorting jobs and make all that in input and output XLR jacks ;

in that manner- you need to have only XLRs on preamp case,no nasty RCA-XLR mix

for testing purposes - short whatever you want ........ inputs,outputs.......again - counting on real life situation you expect with your sources and output amp(s)
Old 14th September 2007, 06:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
Wow, figure out the answers yourself!!!
That could be misunderstood, sorry. I meant to say that you can find my answers in the first quote I made. The answers were by mistake put into the quote-box.

Steen

Hide this!Advertise here!