new sozlight "dark" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2007, 12:23 AM   #1
coils is offline coils  United States
diyAudio Member

Default new sozlight "dark"

just finished this zenlight. I used surplus heating elements instead of lamps. They are 240volt/1500watt, and are all close to 32 ohms. I am using two in parallel per device. I built the amp based on fig. 16 in the article.

The mosfets are irfpb250's, my rail is 47 volts at full power, but I am using a variac, and am running at 25 volts as the sinks are a little small.
The amp sound fantastic with my lowthers, but I am using it now for some 10" o.d. by 5.5' el-pipos.

I need a better crossover, does anyone know of a project for balanced in/out 2-way active crossover?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th September 2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Ok, you're my kinda guy

Magura
Old 11th September 2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Urmykindaguy2! Does it glow orange hot as the music flows and the night grows long.
Old 11th September 2007, 01:27 PM   #4
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
i was wondering the same thing... how hot do the elements get?

pretty cool
Old 12th September 2007, 12:16 AM   #5
coils is offline coils  United States
diyAudio Member

It does not glow. the elements were designed for 240 volts/1500 watts, and at full power in my amp, they see 47 volts. at full power they radiate alot of heat, but not as much as the heatsinks. I run it at 25 volt rails, and the elements do not even break a sweat (almost cold!), and the heat sinks will allow me to touch them briefly.

I put 120 ac across one element for test and it got red hot.

I did not expect them to glow from the beginning, and in my application each device has the equivalent of a 3000 watt 16 ohm resistor. I had to parallel the elements to increase the bias, which insured me that the elements would not glow.

If I had bigger sinks, I could run it at full power and have a space heater with very appealing sonic attributes.

Old 12th September 2007, 01:35 AM   #6
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Great work Coils
I thought there might be some interest in the results of tests I've done in this light (could not resist saying that). Actually, I've been into inductor loading lately but, along the way, I measured the available bulbs and even a heater element from the local Home Depot. All data is recorded manually after a few seconds of stabilization. Results could be different over u-seconds or mili-seconds such as audio frequencies. Notice that the only measured device that exhibits almost pure resistive qualities is the heater element. If you would like the whole .xls file send me a PM...
Attached Images
File Type: png bulbtest graph.png (24.0 KB, 234 views)
Old 12th September 2007, 06:22 PM   #7
The one and only

Some people have real style.

Old 12th September 2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

veeeerrrrrrrrry ugly!!!!

I think that Dr. Zarkov would be proud with this

Hide this!Advertise here!