The effect of the ac current gain in Aleph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Getting rid of an active current gain in Aleph

I would like to try converting the Aleph output stage into a simple current sourced stage. All the feedback around the current source, the out series resistors, all the parts hanging on the output are influencing sonics in some way. A simple Mosfet with a fixed current source should sound probably better. I do lose the power into 4 ohms and lower but this is not an issue here.

Natural progression of course, is SOZ with single resistor for current source, but at the cost of efficiency. So I would be leaning towards simple, active CS.

Anybody tried doing that already?;)

Thanks for a link, somehow I never got to see that thread. But it's more of a variation on SOZ design.

What I'm looking for, is a modified Aleph, with mosfet as a current source, but without the circuit associated with active current gain. I'll be using that amp in tri-amp system with efficient drivers, so I don't need extra power and if I'll be able to achieve better sonics, it's worth it.

Peter Daniel said:
What I'm looking for, is a modified Aleph, with mosfet as a current source, but without the circuit associated with active current gain. I'll be using that amp in tri-amp system with efficient drivers, so I don't need extra power and if I'll be able to achieve better sonics, it's worth it.

If the drivers are efficient enough, why not use a simple source follower?

se

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It will not surprise you to imagine that I have
worked with this a bit.

There are occasions when a constant current source
or even a resistor will sound better, but this is highly
dependent on taste and having the proper speaker.

A good example is a nice efficient horn midrange or
tweeter. If you don't need the power, you have less
need of gain in the circuit.

pass/ - likes a good horn now and then

Nelson Pass said:
A good example is a nice efficient horn midrange or
tweeter. If you don't need the power, you have less
need of gain in the circuit.

Yes, especially if you already have a preamp in the loop, which for loudspeakers in the 95dB+ wouldn't necessarily require any additional voltage gain. And if you don't need any voltage gain, the circuit can reduce to an emitter/source/cathode follower, which is simpler, more linear and has a lower output impedance (assuming an active current source).

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nelson Pass said:

Yeah, all night long... :happy1:

I have three different Zens in hand:

- The original Zen with constant current source
- Zen with active current source
- Zen-X with active current source

I like all three, particularly the Zen-X with the "active current source." It attracts me best for the clear sound with the musical texture, harmony and resolution. The Zen-X has performed its duty on 1.32A bias current. By the way, why not lower bias if the sound remains the same? I have thought about the lower bias to my curiosity. To lower the bias, however I have not changed the bias resistor value. Instead, I have approached the current source of Aleph, by adding R19 (of Aleph 2). I have got 1.16A with 120k and 0.96A with 60k. Now, it is fixed with 1.16A.

Expecting a valuable conclusion of Peter Daniel...

JH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel

May I propose you to change the thread title to "rate and effect of the ac current gain" or similar?

I actually experimented on Zen-X with ac current gain variation from 0 to 50%. I felt that the +/- ac current rate control worked as if to be equivalent to the +/- focus control of camera lens. My preference zone was 0-30%. In between these values, the differences were not very distinctive, and the preferences were dependent on the different music and mood.

Again, looking forward to your results¡¦

JH

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.