X.5 series could be improved?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No. The design is not perfect. When I create a perfect amplifier,
I will disappear in a puff of smoke.

The X series is most easily improved by increasing the bias,
which generally means better heat sinking and power supply.

There are the usual tweaks, your favorite capacitors, wire,
resistors, etc, many of which work, adding some small measure
of improvement.

It's not hard to form a list - unfortunately the items on it cost
a lot of money. We have used all the economical approaches
we know, and some that are not.

:cool:

Mr. Pass,

''increasing the bias'' means forcing the amp. to run more in Pure Class A mode under constant power?

Secondly, do you make custom built amps?( improving the internal parts, heat sink, power supply..)

Thirdly,

Have you ever heard liquid cooling?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mert said:
''increasing the bias'' means forcing the amp. to run more in Pure Class A mode under constant power?

Secondly, do you make custom built amps?( improving the internal parts, heat sink, power supply..)

Thirdly, Have you ever heard liquid cooling?

1) Any increase in bias is good, and it doesn't have to be
in pure Class A.

2) No.

3) Yes.

:cool:

I've done a fair amount of work on water cooled circuits. I did a thread on it at one point. I am still using the same setup and still think it's the easiest way to deal with heat...however, it's not portable. How big a problem that is to you is for you to decide.
It's not the sort of thing that you can retrofit to an existing amp. You'll have to start from scratch. However, the system I've got will dissipate something on the order of 2kW of heat without breaking a sweat (ahem). I've never found the limit of what the system can do.
Incidentally, I make no claims that water cooling sounds different (setting aside mechanical noise from the pump, which is in another room anyway), only that it's a very efficient way to move heat.

Grey

Just the amp in another room and force air cool it.

Be careful of the bias settings. They are quite sensitive and it will take some time to balance everything.

In any case this is not something I would recommend

You can experience the joy of simply increasing the bias with a passdiy project.

Macka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.