Question on X250.5 and X350.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be grateful if some one can help me understand the difference I heard during a recent audition between the X250.5 and X350.5. Whilst this might not be a new topic, I have yet to find any definite answer/discussion on the web in this regard.

What I have been told by the Pass dealer and from reading difference sources is this: the two amplifiers use the same circuit, and therefore their sonic difference is minimal. The power difference would only be apparent when used in a room of significant size. In an average room, both amplifiers would produce very similar results.

During a a recent audition of these two amps, their sonic nature did sound very similar to me. Nevertheless, it was obvious the X350.5 provided significantly better control on all ranges of the sound (whether it is treble, midbass, or bass) when compare with the X250.5. The X350.5 excels in all areas, with much better image, more clarity on instruments, and much finer details on timbers of instruments, and a lot more subtlities. I noticed it immediately at the first note played after switching from the X250.5 to the X350.5.

This is not the kind of difference I would have expected based on what I was told/have read. I would be much grateful if some one familiar with these two amps can explain it to me.

For your information, the audition system used included a pair of Dynaudio C2, a Pass X1 pre-amplifier, and a Metronome CDP. Only classical music was playedm which included Bruckner 9th, Mahler 5th, Bach Organ concerto, Brahms choral works, Bach violin partitas, Debussy preludes. It was auditioned in a room of about 150 sq ft.

Your thoughts would be much welcome. Thank you.

Though the circuits are similar, the power supply in the 350 is going to be bigger (good for dynamics), and have higher rail voltages (something which makes MOSFETs happy). More output devices in parallel also factor in (better control of bass).
Don't overlook the benefit of more muscle when playing power pieces like the Bruckner.

Grey

Thanks for your reply.

I think it means that contrary to what I was told/read, the difference in power in the X250.5 and X350.5 is apparent regardless of room size or the type of music played. It does not request the full tutti of an orchestra to demonstrate the difference. Even the single violin in Bach, and the first few notes of the trumpet solo in the Mahler 5th, confirmed the more weight and composure of the performance. The result far exceeded my expectation.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: x.250.5vs. x350.5

mert said:
I have X250.5 and not thinking to upgrade it to 350.5 Simply because it will not yield marginal benefit. My system: Willson Sophia 2, Boulder 810 Pre, Accuphase Dp-78 Cd/Sacd, Exact Power Ep 15A.:whazza:

You know? There are people following the more the better.
Papa knows it for his commercial purpose (positive meaning).

:darkside:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.