diy PASS amp....? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default diy PASS amp....?

Hi ! Am wondering if anyone has a sugestion for an amp to build from pass? lve built a couple chip amps and have just refurbed a yamaha p-2200 with a nice new alluminium face aswell which is for my sub woofers. l wanted to BI-amp my system but maybe its really a tri-amp set up(sub/mid bass/high?) l wanted to use the new 20watt class A amp from Silicon Chip mag for my high's and then was going to use a valve amp for mid/bass(EL34 push pull) and then use my subs for the low end as valve amps dont have the tightness in the lower bass region(debateable lm sure!!) But thats the general idea anyway. Now lm thinking of going for a non valve unit and useing perhaps a PASS amp as the amount of good reports aswell as the amount of good help at hand makes me feel that this is perhaps the better idea.l did think of useing the SKA amp but feel its not going to last long before l end up changing and useing something else . l would love to build once and leave alone to enjoy(lm sure thats what many of you wanted before you got bitten with the DIY thing!!) l can only hope anyway! Any ideas would be great. l live in Melbourne Australia so any local advice would be great too.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this and look forwards to replies .
Cheers Shaun
P.S yes....l was not paying attention in my english class!!(spelling)
Old 17th August 2007, 02:56 PM   #2
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
I also moved form valve to solid state amps - although many years ago in my case. Solid state can offer better top end and base although valves are smooth in the middle. Nowadays a vfet is similar to a triod/pentode and you can get n and p devices which helps.

If you want to try a Pass amp the Aleph series are very good and are single ended class a amps- so they should be familiar in layout. There are a number of models depending on the power you want from 30 watt upwards.

There are also threads for Pass X amps which offer more power particularly in the base. However if you really nead base look at Pass diy which includes some class A Pass amps in push pull mode, such as the A75.

I would have a good look at Pass diy. The Aleph 30 is good as is the aleph 1.2 and 2. The A75 is also good. I have built all of the foregoing and like them all.

I think the Alephs are a good starting point.

Don
Old 17th August 2007, 10:35 PM   #3
The one and only

The best bottom end amplifier of the offerings is the
A75, I think.

Old 23rd August 2007, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

can I use 8 instead 6 transistors in alpeh5 clone
regards
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
The one and only

Of course.

Old 30th August 2007, 11:13 PM   #6
grz28eg is offline grz28eg  United States
diyAudio Member

HI I've been looking at class A amps for a while. I started on the Aleph 1.2's but soon realized what a monster it is!! Anyway, i think i want to build the A75. i would like to know where i can get info on it such as schematics, boards, etc... Thanks in advance. Any and all advice welcome

Greg!
Old 30th August 2007, 11:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i don't know why i'm under moderation. i've been a member (albeit silent) since 2005!!!
Old 31st August 2007, 12:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
HI I've been looking at class A amps for a while. I started on the Aleph 1.2's but soon realized what a monster it is!! Anyway, i think i want to build the A75. i would like to know where i can get info on it such as schematics, boards, etc... Thanks in advance. Any and all advice welcome
You can get boards at audioXpress. I think they will send you copy of the article as well. I think the article is posted on the pass labs website as well.

Beware, there are a few mistakes on the boards.

There are a couple of threads here on the A-75--take a look at them.

Sorry to burst your bubble, the the a-75 is not just a monster, but a TITAN, surely not easier than an aleph 1.2. The Mini-A is a great amp though, and much easier.

JJ
Old 31st August 2007, 01:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hi jupiterjune
first- i was talking about the aleph 1.2 as being the 'monster'. if my memory serves me the aleph 1.2 is 200W of class A power. i'm not sure but i think the A75 is only 75W of Cass A. in which case smaller everything. IE trans, caps, electricity and most of all HEAT..i have heard about class A and now i want a taste, without the whole block dimming when i turn the beast on!!! i have martin logan sequel 2's and they are GREAT. i have been driving them with B&K M200 mono blocks and they sound good. anyway the ML's are electrostats and need current and i don't think the mini-A will drive them to sonic glory. thanks for the advice (always welcome)
Old 31st August 2007, 02:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Will the F4 drive them?

Hide this!Advertise here!