aleph 1.2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2007, 03:03 PM   #1
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default aleph 1.2

i have a pair of infinity renaissance 90 and i wonder if the aleph 1.2 can drive them.

i now it is an amp killer but aleph seems to be a monster.

anybody tried that combination?
Old 12th August 2007, 05:10 PM   #2
daly41k is offline daly41k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default aleph 1.2

hi, I built the Aleph 1.2's back in 2000 and they have been very reliable driving any type of speaker--even Maggie 3.6's. They are now driving my Watkins WE-1's which are supposed to be 8 ohm speakers but need a lot of current for their accoustic suspension bass - 2-8" woofers and 1-8" sub. I also used them with Mirage OM-5's and they did really well with them since the MIrages have a built in powered sub. I am converting them to XA100's for a bi-amp line array that I constructed. I am using the Pass/Tharagard A-75 amp to dirve my Watkins now and the difference is that The A-75 has a touch more bass impact but it is hard for me to hear anyother differences. You will like the Aleph's especially if your speaker has a treble rise. good luck, dave
Old 12th August 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
The one and only

The A75 is probably more suitable due to the low impedance
of most Infinitiy woofers.

Old 13th August 2007, 11:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am converting them to XA100's

XA100's or X100's??? If it is the XA100, please feel free to post a circuit diagram.....

(unless Nelson would frown on that, of course.)

JJ
Old 15th August 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

thanks for your suggestions.

the a75 is a class A or class A/AB design?

do i need to bias it with class A down to 1ohm?
Old 15th August 2007, 01:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default aleph 1.2's

The A75 is a class A design that apperared in AudioXpress in 1992/1993 and was authored by NP and Norm Tharagard. You can buy the boards from Audoxpress by going to their website.
This was a great design using mosfets from start to finish and has a regulated driver board. This amp design was published during the same time frame that the Aleph design was commercially produced by NP. It is a rugged and reliable amp that can drive anything. You might want to look up the articles on the web site.
Old 15th August 2007, 01:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default aleph 1.2's

Jupiterjune--You can find the schematic for the xa100 that we are using on the GL thread called XA100. I also have a thread called Aleph 1.2 to XA100. dave
Old 15th August 2007, 04:16 PM   #8
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

Point of clarification: XA100 = Pass Labs commercial product. AX100 = gl's 100W version of the Aleph-X.

Graeme
Old 16th August 2007, 09:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If i recall correctly, Nelson has told once that the AX (the Class A version of the Aleph X) was very close to the original factory design, correct?

Anyways....has anybody here ever had the opportunity to compare the "forum version" with the factory release?

Is so, would it be possible to share the listening impressions?

Hide this!Advertise here!