My new Aleph-2 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2003, 11:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Checked out the site but needless to say couldn't read a dang thing. Nice stuff though!!1 An iteresting thing was that there was a comparison between the heatsinks I used .......and the ones he used...but don't know what it said. Perhaps you could elaborate on that for me Yang....? Below is the layout and the sinks I used.
Thanks!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg generallayout2.jpg (57.3 KB, 908 views)
Old 31st January 2003, 07:21 AM   #12
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yang!!!!!!!

Is the led RED?!?!?!?!?
You are going to pass-hell....

Your amp looks very nice, could you learn some "highend" english vocabulary and explain it's sound? I was kidding, it seems that we'll be forced to learn chinese, anyway...

Congratulations!
Old 31st January 2003, 07:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

To Mark A. Gulbrandsen
The heatsinks you used is good for Class-A Amp.
I really thought over it,only that it seem not suitable to fix the TO-247.
Old 31st January 2003, 09:45 AM   #14
SDF is offline SDF  France
diyAudio Member

Now, I like amplifiers "made in Taïwan"

Congratulation Yang, really beautiful amps.
Old 31st January 2003, 10:22 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to blank527
Hi,

Nice amp,
Soon I'll be finishing my amp.
Did some surfing on your site, there are also other Aleph projects on this.. including an Aleph 1.2!! (Not finished so it seems)

http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserData/prbstech/

Look for Pass

Greetz,
Remco
Old 31st January 2003, 07:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yang,
I didn't have much trouble mounting the TO-247's to the sinks....Although I hand wired my sinks, it did not take that long....a couple of hours per bank prehaps. Using the turrett terminals also made it extremely sturdy. Also, the horizontal positioning of the devices puts the actual semi chip location near the middle of the sink. I have to admit that these sinks work extremely well. See photo.

I think the results are probably better sounding than using the typical output device PCB. I am in the process of doing a couple of more changes to my 2's. First, I am hand wiring the complete PCB circuit on top of a 1/4" thick piece of copper plate using the turrett terminals that I used on the heat sinks. For what ever reason point to point wiring ALWAYS sound better...elimination of the board material itself, and the sometimes marginal copper traces, and complete elimination of the copper foil to solder joints.

I am also installing inductors in the PS to further eliminate the noise on the rails. Its pretty low now, but could always be better. I don't think there is much one can do with an ALeph 2 past this stuff....regulated supply perhaps, but I think the benefits on a class A amp of regulating supplies would be marginal, it may also limit the peak power available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aleph2heatsinkdetail.jpg (42.1 KB, 391 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!