what needs to be matched in an aleph-p 1.7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have searched the forums and I got bits on info (not a lot of thread in regards to matching mosfet/transistors in the aleph preamp) the but wasn't sure if they are correct (and I need some to verify what was written). I also looked at passdiy and all I can see is the pearl phono preamp article.

In this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=26680&highlight=#post26680, ignatz talked about close matching of the 2 signal IRF610. So only those 2 IRF610 needs matching? If yes, could you tell me which are the signal IRF610? how about the IRF9610? do these need to be matched at all?

In the same thread, Mr. Pass has said that the transistor doesn't need to be matched. I assume he is talking about the ZTX devices?

Thank you very much for the help :)

Given the design of the circuit--meaning the resistance between the two halves (R51, R66, and a pot which doesn't seem to have any designation)--you do not technically have to match those two devices. However, the lower the resistance between the two halves (meaning the pot approaching zero), the more difference it will make. Given that each side has a dedicated current source and is cap-coupled at the output, there's a lot of leeway for mismatched devices.
You'll get somewhat better performance if they're matched.

Grey

GRollins said:
Given the design of the circuit--meaning the resistance between the two halves (R51, R66, and a pot which doesn't seem to have any designation)--you do not technically have to match those two devices. However, the lower the resistance between the two halves (meaning the pot approaching zero), the more difference it will make. Given that each side has a dedicated current source and is cap-coupled at the output, there's a lot of leeway for mismatched devices.
You'll get somewhat better performance if they're matched.

Grey

just a question. how do I know the 2 halves are balanced? From what you have written above, it seems I to turn the 2k pot. But what do I measure to know they are balanced?

I hope the question is clear.

Thank you very much :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.