has anyone used auricaps and BG on their aleph 1.7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
http://www.apexjr.com/new.htm

4K7POLYcaps.jpg

on my layout for the aleph p 1.7 i have 1 30uF Auricap Capacitor, because accordingly with the resarche that i have made so far, these brand is one of the utmost neutral on the market.

Magura, i don't agree with you about the chepest caps sounding as good as the best aurricap or jensen or....whatever.

The caps...expecially dc blocking cap on the signal path are fundamental for the sake of the sound.

Stefanoo said:

Magura, i don't agree with you about the chepest caps sounding as good as the best aurricap or jensen or....whatever.

Try giving an ABX test of auricaps or whatever else cap you consider very high quality and good sounding, and for instance a Comar PP motor run cap a chance.......I have made such test and found no person so far whom was able to tell them from eachother.

....on the other hand, my wallet had no problem telling the difference

Magura :)

Magura said:

Try giving an ABX test of auricaps or whatever else cap you consider very high quality and good sounding, and for instance a Comar PP motor run cap a chance.......I have made such test and found no person so far whom was able to tell them from eachother.

....on the other hand, my wallet had no problem telling the difference

Magura :)

some motor runs are good though. I've use ASC MRs on the output of my tubed headphone amp.

But general statements such as "industrial caps will be as good as auricaps" might be hard to prove though.

how many industrial caps do I need to buy for testing?

It'll probably be safer (cheaper in the long run compared to testing different brands) to buy a good cap and be done with it :)

anyway, I respectfully request to keep things in topic. if you haven't used Auricaps, BG-N 47uF or Multicap metallized polypro (cheaper than auricap by almost half!), please stay out :)

Hello,
my aleph 1.7 is running with bg-n caps. I´ve tried Mundorf mcap-zn before and wima mkp4, which are both polypropylene caps.The first with tin-foil and PP-foil, the second with metalized pp-foil. I didn´t try auri till now.
I prefered the bg´s because i don´t like the audible hardness and pronounciation of the high frequencies, i´ve experienced with every pp capacitor i have tried. It´s like the high frequencies are always the first part of the sound to hear, a bit faster than the rest.
For me the bg´s sound nicer with no unevenness in the tonality. Like a small jensen for poor people;)
Of cause it´s just my own personal experience and you might think different.:)

Hi Jarthel,

Take a look at this thread. I would imagine that some of the info you seek would be parallel between the two amps: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=101344

BTW, you will find your comparison there! And don't forget to burn in any caps you compare, it's the only fair and true test. There is a cheap circuit you can make for this on this thread too!

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.